Interesting Fact

Sponsored Links
I was told an interesting fact over the allotment the other day. John Innes compost is not made exclusively by a bloke or a company called John Innes. It is a formula that anyone can make and sell as John Innes no.1, no.2 etc depending on how it is processed and what it contains.

I am horticulturally challenged and as such didn't know that.

There is more info at

BTW the only gardening joke that I know- Dorothy Parker was asked by a journalist to think up a joke containing the word "horticulture". Her response- "you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think".

Last edited:
I know what I mean!

When I lived in London, I always wondered, why do so many people stay in London? There is still a slow migration out of London into the home counties, seen especially in Essex where I live, which is probably why population is still slow to rise in London. Where I lived (Harringay, then Walthamstow), a 3 bed semi would buy a nice large detached with big garden around here. I didn't hang about myself.

I think the pandemic has prompted some people to look further afield, but so many Londoners feel very tied to their suburbs and many, justifiably so, worry about prejudism they may encounter outside of London. I have black, South American, and Turkish friends in London that say they will never leave, but at the same time, many are slowly moving out beyond the M25.

In short, if the 8 million people in London decided to move to the Essex countryside, it would be far more crowded than it is now. And it is already much more crowded than it was when I was growing up.

So, stay in London please!

Green lanes today, still very Turkish but the turks are moving to Essex.

Noticing schools in London seem to have more white than black kids or so I see. There is a bit of migration happening locally

Noticing schools in London seem to have more white than black kids or so I see. There is a bit of migration happening locally
Yeah, that is an area that I lived in, when I first thought it odd so many people lived there. I rented a place near Turnpike Lane for about 8 months before buying my first flat. Was shocked at the price of houses in the area - you could sell a 3 bed terrace and get a nice 5 bed detached in Essex near a good school.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that is an area that I lived in, when I first thought it odd so many people lived there. I rented a place near Turnpike Lane for about 8 months before buying my first flat. Was shocked at the price of houses in the area - you could sell a 3 bed terrace and get a nice 5 bed detached in Essex near a good school.

When I was at Uni, I lived in Ponders End- frankly that was as close to Essex as I wanted to be.

Sorry, I am not (intentionally) dissing Essex. You could sell your 5 bedroom detached in Essex and buy a whole street in some of the towns where the mines shut down. Granted there won't be any decent schools and the local (remaining) pub will be full of smack heads.

I completely understand why some people want to move out of London, but as someone that never learnt how to drive, I could not imagine living out in the sticks.

Judging by the number of Turkish restaurants and barbers we have springing up, I’d say you are right. Mind you, I am led to understand that quite a few of them are money laundering operations.

Judging by the number of Turkish restaurants and barbers we have springing up, I’d say you are right. Mind you, I am led to understand that quite a few of them are money laundering operations.

So I've been told.

We have a Turkish restaurant that was the Painted Lady. During covid it changed its name 3 times.
A few bounce back loans I'm thinking.

I completely understand why some people want to move out of London, but as someone that never learnt how to drive, I could not imagine living out in the sticks.

We do have taxi, bus and rail services, even up here 'out in the sticks'.

We do have taxi, bus and rail services, even up here 'out in the sticks'.

The last time I worked outside of London (Farnham Royal in Slough). The buses to Slough train station were every 60 minutes and a 15 minute bus ride cost £5. The 13 mile train journey to Ealing (west London) cost £8.

I can get from West Ruislip to Epping (the longest tube journey at 34 miles for £5.60)..

I live out in the (relative) London sticks. My nearest bus is 7-10 mins at peak hours, runs 24 hours a day. The route is 12 miles long, and provided that I complete my first journey in less than 60 minutes and I swipe to get on another bus (or buses) within 60 mins, I can travel on the second (third, fourth...) bus for no additional charge, making the total cost £1.75.

BTW, I am not being snarky, but do any remote areas have 24 hour bus services?

Sponsored Links
Back