Interesting pub conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting a pub 'conversion' to restaurant, the customer is one of these 'visionaries' so he has not had a plans drawn up!!!

Anyway I will be testing the entire pub this week and removing any failed circuits.

As this is my first proper venture into the commercial area I am looking for any advice.

Now I have worked on shop fits etc with a fellow sparks, we have alaways used Low Smoke cable, is there a specific requirement for this in commercial arena.?

The shop fits involved framed walls, this pub refurb however will result in cable being buried in plaster, TBH, that is the only question I really have

Sponsored Links
Unless it's specced by the customer or architect then no. I've done loads of pub refits / conversions etc, and we always used standard PVC insulated cables.

Is this pub anywhere near me?

There's never been an imperative for LS cables for such an installation, Oharaf. But you ought to appy your mind to emergency lighting for (at least one) example....

It's alway a problem when working for 'vague-minded' customers, but it's up to you to provide helpful suggestions so that the Restraunteur does't fall foul of the requirements.....

Lucia.

Beware of working for these type of people, they will move goal posts, be sure to indicate that if you have installed something and it needs altering or removing and reinstalling that additional charges will incur, dont do any alterations or additional work without confirming prices in writing before hand. You may end up doing alot of extra paperwork but that may well pay off for you should the worse come to the worst.

Sponsored Links
You will have to tell this customer what he needs, otherwise you will be installing god-knows-what on opening day.

You will have to find out who the project coordinator is.
If it is him then you want a spec off him.
If it is you then you spec, install then invoice accordingly.
Visionary be blowed - I have another name for 'em.

Cheers Chaps

Hi Rob, bit of a trudge from you, over in Skipton!!!

The fire alarm system is newly installed, just need to add and move a sensor on this.

Will use standard T&E then Rob for majority of circuits.

Very helpfull guys thanks. He has said he will get some plans together whilst I strip out!!!

Hmm not too far from me. If you do get stuck or want a second opinion, give me a shout, and I'm sure I could call over and have a look.

OOI, which pub is / was it?

Hope you have 3 phase.

I'd be serious about firming up some designs. A kitchen is a very high demand place.

Starting a pub 'conversion' to restaurant, the customer is one of these 'visionaries' so he has not had a plans drawn up!!!

Anyway I will be testing the entire pub this week and removing any failed circuits.

As this is my first proper venture into the commercial area I am looking for any advice.

Now I have worked on shop fits etc with a fellow sparks, we have alaways used Low Smoke cable, is there a specific requirement for this in commercial arena.?

The shop fits involved framed walls, this pub refurb however will result in cable being buried in plaster, TBH, that is the only question I really have

Pub's....... Periodical Inspections.... God give you strength because, in my personal opinion, pubs (especially those not maintained by breweries) are the best examples I have ever seen of how things shouldn't be done in a commercial environment.

Advice... Put new panel in for your new circuits and take no responsibility for anything else!!!!!

Put new panel in for your new circuits and take no responsibility for anything else!

And very, very carefully check the supply capacity, the actual load and get permission from the DNO for any additional load!

Hi Rob, Commercial, Skipton

Only single phase!!!! So there are going to be some SERIOUS calculations to be done!!!

Full Periodic starts in the morning, already looking very poor from the 5 Fused switches, no RCD in any boards, apart from one in the kitchen which is coming out!!!

Suspect this may be a full electrical refurbishment!!

Cooking on gas or electric ?

Air con units ?

Cold storage ?

16 amp feeds for electric ovens, industrial hob plates ?

Microwave banks ?

Commercial dish washers ?

Fryers ?

Griddle plates ?

Water heating / Urns ?

That before we move on to bar cold store, cellar, overall lighting and then external buildings, signage lights, emerg lights.

Smells of burning if 100 amp supply :LOL:

Although a great job for kicking out any cranial dust cause by Xmas and New Year Holidays.

We do a fair few pub/restaurants, all have had supply upgrades, and this is generally how we end up maintaining the sites.

All the pubs we work for have a minimum 200amp TP supply. We also have one with a 250, and one with a 300.

On a busy weekend, particularly bank holidays, you can have the bottle fridges and produce fridges working constantly as the doors are constantly being opened (hardly closed). The walk in fridges also have to work harder due to heat (summer), and the doors being opened. The microwaves are constantly running too, and hydroboils and coffee machines will be at full chat.

We have one pub that has gas griddles, combi's, fryers, hot plates, no air con, and still is maxing out it's 150amp TP supply - we are currently looking to increase this supply, but are running into difficulties as a new sub is needed, and there is issues with locations and leaways (currently pole mounted, but needs to be pad mounted due to size).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back