Interesting socket problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....well I think so.

A week ago moisture from a kettle condensated on kitchen tiles and ran down into the wall switches marked hob, dishwasher, extract fan.....bang the rcd blew in the garage fuse box. Reset the switch after drying the kitchen switches out and all was well in the kitchen, switch surround now sealed with silicone.

At about this time (hence I'm connecting the incidents) a double 13 amp socket in the living room where we power a laptop from, charge phones etc via a 6 gang surge protector, seemed to lose its ability to charge anything at a reasonable rate. This socket will power other items I've 'tested' it with, table lights, hair dryer, but nothing will charge properly. I changed the surge protector for a regular 4 gang extention lead, changed the chargers, changed the leads, no improvement. I've also used those chargers and cables in other sockets and everything charges ok

Can it be the socket? If so what the he'll has happened?

Help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do they charge ok with no extension lead.

Unlikely to be related if there even is an issue. Perhaps a loose connection? But higher load items would be affected too

In the first instance with power off I'd check the cables serving the socket are nice and tight and free from any corrosion - they could still power lights and other equipment even if loose. If they are ok then it might need swapping out, very weird indeed but may have been caused by the surge if the phase and neutral were shorted by the ingress of water from the kitchen sockets.

If the chargers work in other sockets then this would indeed point to it being faulty...

Sponsored Links
The problems with the kitchen and lounge sockets are not necessarily connected.

I have lost count of the number of calls I've had over the years to an electrical problem..."They all went out/ off together"

One customer was absolutely convinced all 6 outside lights had failed at the same time when in reality he only noticed there was a problem when the last lamp failed and left the area in complete darkness.

Does the charger misbehave in both sides of the socket in the lounge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back