Advice on this one guys please....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.... I’m changing a standard 2 gang socket over to a 2 gang switched USB charger socket. I’ve taken plastic socket off and met with the wiring setup in Pic attached. Obviously black/blue neutral and red/brown live. However, can anyone advise on what I do with the earth terminal? I have modern wiring in the kitchen and it’s far simpler with updated wiring. Thanks in advance. Picture of wiring abs the socket I intend to fit attached.

Attachments

• 25C02A82-BCAA-494D-8630-E6FAF2D0FD5F.jpeg
    25C02A82-BCAA-494D-8630-E6FAF2D0FD5F.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 60DCAC3C-CA48-4BB2-A7DF-E0A608784615.jpeg
    60DCAC3C-CA48-4BB2-A7DF-E0A608784615.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 374
  • 966E1DAA-158B-48AD-8C90-F75E05916B36.jpeg
    966E1DAA-158B-48AD-8C90-F75E05916B36.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 380
Sponsored Links
you put the 2 loose earth wires you have in the socket earth terminal.

You can use just 1 terminal on the rear of the socket, or even put one wire in each. Both would be ok

I’m no sparks but I’d put both earths in one of the earth terminals of the socket and if you want, another earth wire from the other socket earth terminal to the back box.

Edut: scrub that, just do what Andy says, same thing.

you put the 2 loose earth wires you have in the socket earth terminal
Thanks Andy. The loose earth wire from the back box is too short to fit either of the socket earth terminals so I think I will need to buy a short length of earth wire and strip it to replace the loose earth wire that’s currently already there.

Sponsored Links
I’m no sparks but I’d put both earths in one of the earth terminals of the socket and if you want, another earth wire from the other socket earth terminal to the back box.

Edut: scrub that, just do what Andy says, same thing.

Thanks Mottie. Yes - Yes that makes sense. Sadly one piece is too bloody short to fit the new earth socket, so off to buy some more earth cable!

It's not actually a requirement to earth the back box, just good practice.

You could feed both earth wires from the cables into the socket bottom terminal.

And then if the cable link was long enough, connect the top terminal to the back box, but its not actually a requirement

It's not actually a requirement to earth the back box, just good practice.

You could feed both earth wires from the cables into the socket bottom terminal.

And then if the cable link was long enough, connect the top terminal to the back box, but its not actually a requirement

Andy - Just to clarify and save the Mrs getting a shock (it’s her side of the bed! ) I can simply place the second earth wire in the bottom earth socket terminal and leave the back box ‘loose’ wire which is too short to fit anyway, without connecting it to the socket? Is that correct?

Yes.

Though it would be best to remove the backbox wire all together.
A loose wire could be rather dangerous unless you park / poke it out the way.

Both cable earth wires must goto the socket though

Yes.

Though it would be best to remove the backbox wire all together.
A loose wire could be rather dangerous unless you park / poke it out the way.

Ah! I’m with you. So undo earth wire from back box (I've attached pic to ensure I’m going to undo the right screw) and then get rid of loose wire then place the two earth wires into the earth sockets, one in each of the two earth socket slots?

Both cable earth wires must goto the socket though

Attachments

• CD203318-C95E-453B-A39C-2F9C8771FAE0.jpeg
    CD203318-C95E-453B-A39C-2F9C8771FAE0.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 282

Andy, you are a legend! Thank you so much. Followed your advice. Fitted as you described, power back on and it running perfect! Thanks again mate. Really appreciate you help. Photo of the finished article!

Attachments

• FA248C66-3017-48D4-98B9-8E5C8C999F11.jpeg
    FA248C66-3017-48D4-98B9-8E5C8C999F11.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 277
  • C1F4C83B-BE93-4804-BA29-2FEFDF15EBA7.jpeg
    C1F4C83B-BE93-4804-BA29-2FEFDF15EBA7.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 288
Next time, take a bit more care with the wallpaper. Looks like one of my DIY jobs, fix one thing, **** up another!

OOI can these or perhaps certain makes of these withstand high voltage IR tests?

Next time, take a bit more care with the wallpaper. Looks like one of my DIY jobs, fix one thing, **** up another!
Ha ha ha ha! Yeah! Now time to find cloth to clean marks off wallpaper before the Mrs spots it! Lol

The fact that there are two different vintages of wiring here would make me concerned that someone may have taken a spur from a spur.

The prudent professional would investigate this further.....

ie. Do a ring continuity test between the two ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back