What's going on here?

Sponsored Links
What if, hypothetically, the circuit served six fans, six shaver sockets and one light, or some such combination of loads. Would it still be a 'lighting circuit'?

Kind Regards, John

Hypothetically yes.

Sponsored Links
You definitely need to find another career if you think a cooker circuit can be wired in 1.0 mm cable.
Clearly it was for a gas cooker, so the power requirements were only for the ignition device and a light inside the oven, making it a lighting circuit after all.

Clearly it was for a gas cooker, so the power requirements were only for the ignition device and a light inside the oven, making it a lighting circuit after all.

No it is not as there is no fixed light.

I connected a fixed light to it - and there was one in the hood.

Is a piece of paper the defining factor? .

upload_2017-8-20_1-27-40.png

A lighting circuit is a circuit wired in 1.0mm² cable or larger (and powering at least one fixed light?)
As EFLI has implied if, like you and winston, one says that just one fixed light supplied by a circuit renders it a 'lighting' circuit, then all sorts of circuits (like EFLI's cooker example, and many circuits primarily supplying sockets) would qualify as 'lighting circuits', and that would obviously be ridiculous/daft.

If we must have a distinction between 'lighting' and 'power' circuits (and I personally don't see why we need one), the I would have thought that the only sensible definition of a 'lighting' circuit would be along the lines that it 'primarily'/'largely'/whatever supplied lighting loads.

... and what happens about the 'heavy' stuff - is the circuit supplying, say, the floodlighting of Wembley Stadium not a 'lighting circuit' (since I imagine that it has an OPD >16A) ??

Kind Regards, John

As EFLI has implied if, like you and winston, one says that just one fixed light supplied by a circuit renders it a 'lighting' circuit, then all sorts of circuits (like EFLI's cooker example, and many circuits primarily supplying sockets) would qualify as 'lighting circuits', and that would obviously be ridiculous/daft.

If we must have a distinction between 'lighting' and 'power' circuits (and I personally don't see why we need one), the I would have thought that the only sensible definition of a 'lighting' circuit would be along the lines that it 'primarily'/'largely'/whatever supplied lighting loads.

... and what happens about the 'heavy' stuff - is the circuit supplying, say, the floodlighting of Wembley Stadium not a 'lighting circuit' (since I imagine that it has an OPD >16A) ??

Kind Regards, John

Lighting circuits were originally charged at a cheaper rate for lights only. The name has stuck. Some people cheated of course and used bayonet adapters with their irons, vacuum cleaners, toasters etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back