What's going on here?

The answer is to get a spark out who can study it on site and see what is what.

You missed where I asked why the black (N) is looped. I already thanked the respondent's for their input, I just asked one more question, but it's gotten lost in this argument.

Sponsored Links
Lighting circuits were originally charged at a cheaper rate for lights only. The name has stuck. Some people cheated of course and used bayonet adapters with their irons, vacuum cleaners, toasters etc.
Are you saying the term no longer applies, or

they were actually irons, vacuum cleaners, toasters and lighting circuits?

Rather like mine here where the "lighting" circuit is exactly the same configuration as the "socket" circuit.

Out of interest, as you don't seem able to define a lighting circuit (maybe you too need a new care(e)r), could you please define a cooker circuit?

You missed where I asked why the black (N) is looped. I already thanked the respondent's for their input, I just asked one more question, but it's gotten lost in this argument.
If you mean that the black loops uncut out of one cable and continues into another (originally the same one, of course), then there is a red missing.

Lighting circuits were originally charged at a cheaper rate for lights only. The name has stuck. Some people cheated of course and used bayonet adapters with their irons, vacuum cleaners, toasters etc.
Those days are long since gone. We're not discussing history or semantics but, rather the question as to why BS7671 thinks that we now/still need to make a distinction between 'lighting' and 'power' circuits. What useful purpose does that distinction serve in 2017?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Because there will be a red and a black in each cable.
Is it not that the other end of the black has just been pushed into the hole?

Plus there should be three (or two) earth wires.

I remember being told that seeing white cables meant someone had done a bodge job. But that was over 20 years ago and looks like that's no longer the case. Thanks. :)
No - that was never, ever true.

That's not quite correct,
It is not slightly correct. It is not to any extent at all correct.

but not entirely untrue either.
Yes it is. Entirely.

Therefore it's certainly possible that the presence of white cables could mean DIY bodgery and grey was a professional installation.
No, it is not true that white cables meant someone had done a bodge job.

So where does the non-looped black come from?
It would seem to be a CPC which has been sleeved black - but it really doesn't look like that.

upload_2017-8-23_1-47-33.png

I wondered if it was that, too, but it looks too big wrt the black sleeving for it to be a cpc....

I wondered if it was that, too, but it looks too big wrt the black sleeving for it to be a cpc....
It does. However, if it's not a CPC what other possibilities are there?? The other half of the cable confirms that it does have red+black+CPC and, in any event, I would doubt that a black+black+red flat cable (seemingly, then, with no bare CPC) ever existed.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back