Light Switch Help

I can’t I’m afraid. It’s not a switch which is used often. I know it worked but I can’t recall if it just controlled one set of spotlights or all of them.

Sponsored Links
Okay, how many lights do you have in the room. Is there any info you can give us to help you a bit further. And do you want to make an changes such as a complete set of lights coming on all at once.

But it definitely controlled one of the sets of lights in that room?

There are 10 spotlights in total. 2 controlled by gang 1, 3 by gang 2 and 5 by gang 3.

It definitely controlled the lights in that room.

Ideally I’d like switch 2 to control all the lights if that is possible.

Sponsored Links
Of course it is. Having found the live feed and put it in the 1st common, then you can test each of the other leads and see which light come on. Having then verified you've got all the right wires, then they just need fitting in the 1way connection on that switch; just make sure it's not too crowded though, and that nothing comes loose.

I would say "Put this wire in that hole" sounds like a demeaning phrase ..."
It does. Maybe the person who so often uses that phrase should take note (I only use it when talking about a situation in which he has used it).

Have you ever heard members of the emergency services giving instructions on the phone (to someone who has never done it before, and often has no relevant knowledge) how to do CPR, deliver a baby, deal with choking, profuse bleeding etc.? I've never heard it suggested that they should go and train in medicine or some paramedical discipline :)

Kind Regards, John

BAS once spent two weeks in a hotel room refusing to turn on the TV because the ON/OFF switch markings had been worn away, When he complained they said they weren't sure, but just try turning it right or left, he refused because he doesn't believe in trial and error. And instead vehemently complained all day and every day about the lack of a tv.

So, it appears as if EFLI could have been bang on implying that not all 4 switches were connected up

Yes, 1 of them may not have been, but the other 3 almost definitely. Now the next question, which I should have realised before, if he want all 3 to come on at once, and one of the was the 2 way switching, then all of them have now got to be connected as a 2 way switch in order for them all to come on at once.

Does the phrase pulling teeth have any validity here.

That was cruel mwatson, but I still laughed. Very creative.

James, You are about to lose one of the terminal screws, it is loose and laying on the edge of the plaster, tighten all the others.

re your latest photo and as an example the LHS switch (but same applies to all switches) - move the pair of existing reds to the unused terminal together with yellow from the 3 core, the red from the 3 core goes where the pair of reds were connected - and the 3 core blue goes with the existing single red - that switch is now 2 way with the single switch.

Last edited:
No, but does not the rest of that post imply that a non-demeaning phrase - wiring diagram - changes the situation?
You seem to be focussing on the question of a wiring diagram, whereas I (and, I believe others) have been talking far more generally about the nature (and 'acceptability') of 'advice' given.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm actually starting to get pretty confused/uncertain as to what side of the apparent disagreements you are on!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe it's just me, but I'm actually starting to get pretty confused/uncertain as to what side of the apparent disagreements you are on!
I am with Bas on the principle that people who oviously haven't a clue should not be encouraged to continue electrical work.

However, I think the term "Put this wire in that hole" is not the best phrase to use as that is what wiring diagrams are - and we all use them.

Plus, of course, you do not believe in correcting people when they are wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back