intermediate dimmer switch

L

llewop

Can anybody tell me can you get an intermediate dimmer switch. I cannot find anybody that sells them.

Sponsored Links
Why does it have to be the intermediate switch need to be dimming? Can't either of the other switch locations carry the dimmer.

The only other way of course is re-wiring the connection between the switches to making your existing intermediate a two way switch. Not ideal if your cables are buried in plaster.

To answer question. Never heard of such a product. Probably not much market for one.

Although I would like to be proved wrong.

Nah, not heard of an intermediate dimmer either!
I have heard of dimmer switches with slave devices, they are available here which can used to dim from multiple locations.

You could use a 2 way dimmer wired up as dim only (L1 and L2 connected) in a grid box with a normal intermediate switch next to it. Hoewever this is only possible if the com wire goes through the box of the intermediate switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. I recently asked an electrical supplier and he also had never heard of an intermediate dimmer switch. I will just leave it as is an normal switch.

For years I`ve been hoping to find a dimming, brass, intermediate pull switch.
Well that`s what I tell suppliers, it stumps them sometimes.

I must admit I like the idea of the one way dimmer used on the com connections adjacent to the intermediate.- wish I`d have thought of that

If you think about it, an intermediate dimmer isn't all that easy to make. You have two wires running through it, either direct or crossed over, and either one of them could be carrying the current. :confused: :confused: :confused: Do you put two dimmers in there? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The logical solution is to do as plugwash suggests and put a single dimmer in the common wire but in the same box. You now have a six terminal device and you need all three cores of both cables to make it work. You couldn't use it to replace an existing intermediate switch unless the common wire was in the box already. :( :( :(

Still requires all three wires of the multiway switching system to come through the middle box.

varilight master dimmers using two slaves ........voila ...an intermediate dimming system :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back