Invasion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last time we were invaded on the mainland was 1066 by the Normans.

I seem to recall a story that a Spanish fishing boat once found its way into our waters near Wales without permission, and officially speaking that constitutes an invasion.

I am not sure if I have any of these details correct.

Can anyone confirm or deny or corroborate this? Am I talking rubbish?

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:

You forget the Dutch Navy sailing up the Thames, we almost got you then.

Caused the re-organisation of the Royal Navy, because when we fired our cannons from the fort "protecting" the Thames, every single wooden cannon carriage fell apart from rot!

laughing-smiley-018.gif

jumpingsmileys.gif

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
notb665 said:

You forget the Dutch Navy sailing up the Thames, we almost got you then.

........As your man Tromp learned ...... Brittania ruled the waves ! More or less.. ;) :D :D

empip said:
.......As your man Tromp learned ...... Brittania ruled the waves ! More or less.. ;) :D :D

Ehh.... Who took the Spanish Gold???
Well, well, well???

notb665 said:

I seem to recall a story that a Spanish fishing boat once found its way into our waters near Wales without permission, and officially speaking that constitutes an invasion.

I am not sure if I have any of these details correct.

Can anyone confirm or deny or corroborate this? Am I talking rubbish?
Complete bollocks I'm afraid. ;)

It was the French, and it was in 1797 - they "invaded" Fishguard. It was early closing so they left.

No - seriously - they landed 1400 troops, who did a bit of looting, got so drunk they couldn't fight, and 2 days later surrendered.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Wales-History/Fishguard.htm

Wow thanks for that. I knew there was something like that (not complete bollocks ;) ).

Jemima the Great sounds lovely - a powerful lady! :p

But surely there was also a bunch of Americans who came over in a boat and occupied a fishing village?

the local story is they got frightened off by the welsh women, who they thought were redcoats, as they were dressed in their traditional red shawls with the black hats.

In terms of reorganising the navy it also bought about the worlds first production lines at the workshops in chatham, where in the arms race to beat the french, they made wooden pulley blocks, essential for all the boats for hoisting sails etc, on a production line (just a few years before mr ford!)

we are being invaded now and its been going on for a long time

down with fugeess :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back