Investment

Joined
25 Apr 2023
Messages
15,895
Reaction score
11,991
Location
Birmingham
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a bit away for my youngest lad.

Is this realistic?

Where do i start?

Screenshot_20261007_104710_ChatGPT.jpg
 
No. If you’re putting £5k down and £100 a month, you’re not investing £29,000 on day one. It’ll take you years to reach £29,000 and who says the 7% is guaranteed? Sure, it could grow but it could also shrink. BTW, your figures are out:

IMG_9711.jpeg


As it says, that’s what it could grow to. What if the stock market crashes? What about capital gains tax?
 
Last edited:
Has he used his ISA allowance ?

Create a stocks and shares ISA and choose a buy and forget global tracker. There are a few.

VWRP. It is a global tracker - it’s never a good time to buy, the day you buy. You’ll find out later if it was a good time to buy.
 
I have thought about that but is now a good time to buy?
Gold reached an all time high around the new year, since then it has fallen about 25%, so it is a better time to buy now than it was March this year, but will it be cheaper next month? You could buy one a month, any UK sovereign or Britannia coin, they are all CGT free, so if they double in price over 5 years HMRC can do one.
 
Gold reached an all time high around the new year, since then it has fallen about 25%, so it is a better time to buy now than it was March this year, but will it be cheaper next month? You could buy one a month, any UK sovereign or Britannia coin, they are all CGT free, so if they double in price over 5 years HMRC can do one.
Like this, from Costco?

Screenshot_20261007_113530_Chrome.jpg
 
I quite fancy buying gold coins as I prefer to see something to touch and keep rather than these isa and stocks and shares. I am not comfortable enough or have the knowledge with them. I have been thinking a while about gold coins as no knowledge needed.
 
When you hear MBK and Justin talk about stocks and shares on here it goes right over my head. Buying gold coins though does seem pretty much fool proof.
Me too I have no clue where to start, but the coin thing I can do, probably...its just knowing not to buy at the wrong time.
 
Sovereigns and Britannia gold coins are different purities of gold, sovs being 22ct and Brits are 24ct. When buying, try to work out which will give you the most pure (24ct) gold for your money. Each are just as easy to cash in if you need. Chards is a good place to look, but try other bullion dealers, as they all have some deal going at some time.
 
Back
Top