IPAD or LAPTOP?

L

LooPrEvil

I cannot see the advantage of an Ipad over a Laptop. Does anybody have any views?

I get the impression that Apple create products and then 'fool' people into thinking they need them.

Sponsored Links
It depends what you want to do. There are many considerations including battery life and programs you want to run.

Years ago my wife for market research had a lap top with no keyboard and two batteries which you could change one at a time without powering down. With no lid as such as screen was where keyboard normally is it was very easy to use while standing on a street corner.

The same would apply to the Ipad which is far cheaper than the special laptops which are configured in the same way. So one could easy use them on a bus or a train and could set up in a car to double as satnav.

But unless you want these features then using a keyboard instead of a touch pad may be better.

There are loads of specials with touch sensitive screens but in the main the Ipad is cheaper.

Having had to use a Mac in college with Photoshop I am not impressed with having to learn a whole new set of key strokes to do the same as I do with my PC. And unless you have a lot of work to do on the Ipad is it really worth learning how to use it.

Yes the Mac is better but I know where the screen print key is, it has screen print marked on it. Trying to remember which three keys need pressing on the Mac specially in a timed exam it not what I wanted.

There is not straight answer sorry

Thanks for your view points to date. It seems that the main concensus is laptops are the better of the two.

Personally I cannot see why you would pay a premium price for the iPad.

Sponsored Links
You can't really compare the two, I struggle to even compare the Mac Air to an iPad and the Air is about as close to a lightweight tablet equivalent laptop that you can get.

I use the iPad(2) for browsing the web, watching video, music, email and project management.

I use the Air for development, just like I'd use any other laptop for anything which had serious amount of keyboard work.

The iPad is more than just a coffetable web surfing device, it's probably replaced 60-70% of my laptop usage, however for anything serious (coding, photoshop, word, excel etc) then you need a laptop.

Better to have both ;)

Thanks, but I have just seen the price of the i-Pad 2. £650+ !!!!!!!!!!

That is ridiculous, I could get an all singing all dancing laptop and more for that!!

AND it only has 64GB memory!!

I am not, yet, persuaded!!

Eh?

Ipad2 w/32gb wifi +3G =£460

And then I just connect it via file browser £1.50 to my 3tb NAS. That's 300mb connection over local wifi (bonded channel) , whatever my wifi connection is remotely or gigabit wired.

You are still missing the point of a tablet versus a netbook/laptop argument in that you can't compare the two depending on what you want.

This was replied to on an iPad using safari and onscreen keyboard. It's not great but the auto correct makes it more than usable.

Try using a tablet (not the playbook , trust me!). Samsung galaxy pro if your anti apple feelings are that bad and figure out where it fits in your life.

I am not anti apple (as such!), but to me the ipad is very over priced. The price I gave is from Argos (cheaper for 32GB).

But as you say, it will not do for MS Office or other such applications - no storage for documents created. What about ability to transfer docs from PC to iPad, play DVDs etc, connection to other peripherals etc?

It seems to me (as do other tablets) that it is no more powerful than a basic notepad.

Sorry!

If you want a gorgeous gimmick, get the ipad. If you want a reliable, user friendly machine that will do just as much and have a larger hard disk drive then get the laptop.

If you want a gorgeous gimmick, get the ipad. If you want a reliable, user friendly machine that will do just as much, AND LOTS MORE, and have a larger hard disk drive then get the laptop.[/quote]

Still think your missing the point of the iPad ;)

Should it be considered as a replacement for a laptop? No.

Should it be viewed as a "gorgeous" gadget that, if you can afford it, is like any other gadget, useful for what its built for? Yes.

I really did not think I'd be using the iPad as much as I do, I thought it would just be a coffee table relegated glorified web browser. However its convenience factor means Id rather grab the iPad to do a lot of things which arent intensive then power up the laptop or bring it out of sleep.

I'd probably say that if you had £400-£500 spare and wanted some fun then you could buy an iPad or alternatively 20 crates of beer, or 1 hooker, 500 lottery tickets and so on ;)

Kris you are possibly right about me missing the point, but I just CANNOT see the advantage of the iPad over laptops - sorry!!

I'll just stick with a good netbook instead of an iPad. A *real* computer is much better than just a sleek gadget. Of course you have to get a decent netbook like HP d1mz instead of cheapo ones like Asus eeePC

Sponsored Links
Back