Iranian Migration a bit more info..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Interesting articles.
However, I don't think the situation is quite as unsavory as you, or the BBC article suggests, from the BBC article:
"The visa scheme - which attracted allegations it was being abused by migrants seeking access to western Europe - ended on 17 October, by which time some 40,000 Iranians were said to have flown to the Balkan nation."
But:
"According to Info Park, a refugee support centre in Belgrade, Serbian police estimate the number of Iranians who failed to return at 12,000."
Of that 12,000, there is no indication how many remained in Serbia, and how many chose to travel on.
In addition, another source suggests:
"More than 15,000 Iranians have visited Serbia since visas were abolished" https://www.rferl.org/a/serbia-abol...-abuses-by-some-migrants-to-eu-/29539329.html
Nearly a third of that suggested by the unattributed BBC source: " 40,000 Iranians were said to have flown to the Balkan nation."

Edit: So, it is possible we have 15,000 visited Serbia, and 12,000 returned to Iran. Of the remaining 3,000, we don't know if they traveled on-wards or remained in Serbia. Sorry, getting my various numbers confused. 12,000 failed to return.

But assimilating all that information, we can infer that these Iranians spend hundreds of €s for their air travel to Serbia, then may spend 3,000€ to 6,000€ on false passports, then many more €s on onward travel, including hotel or hostel accommodation, and/or people smugglers.
They are then charged an extortionate amount to risk their lives in a passage across the channel, by people smugglers.

If these people have 10,000€ to 20,000€ (or more, having totally divested themselves of their life in Iran) to 'invest' on a risky attempt at migrating to UK, they must be educated, relatively wealthy people. Therefore they would be well aware of the dangers ahead.

So for mb to suggest that they are ill-informed and not desperate seems to me, to be a biased, politically motivated inference.

Last edited:
Why would they get a false passport and then cross the channel in an inflatable?

And hotel accommodation and onward travel? I image they get stuffed in the back of a lorry in Serbia and dumped out somewhere near the channel. They don’t plan these trips on Expedia.

What’s to stop a wealthy, educated Iranian migrating to the UK legitimately?

Why would they get a false passport and then cross the channel in an inflatable?
Good questions.
It does throw into question the veracity of the articles and the reports.
I would suggest all articles, reports and references (including mine) have some humane/political/prejudicial influence.

And hotel accommodation and onward travel? I image they get stuffed in the back of a lorry in Serbia and dumped out somewhere near the channel.
It isn't something I made up. It is from the articles:
"... Iranians were using "false passports and more complex methods" to enter western Europe.
They arrived better prepared for the journey ahead and would stay in hostels or hotels."
the Iranians looked "more like tourists... they were kids in hoodies and jeans, with backpacks"
"travelling with fake passports"
If you had a choice of booking a train ticket, or being "stuffed into the back of a lorry", which would you choose?
Although I imagine the lorry journey may be the more expensive option.

They don’t plan these trips on Expedia.
But obviously anyone, educated, 'investing' 10,000€s, and risking their lives would plan their trip, as far as possible.

Sponsored Links

And hotel accommodation and onward travel? I image they get stuffed in the back of a lorry in Serbia and dumped out somewhere near the channel. They don’t plan these trips on Expedia.

Getting a work visa takes a while, requires interviews, the employer may not want to wait that long.

Its far easier and quicker recruiting from someone within the EU.

It's virtually impossible to emigrate to the UK from Iran for most Iranians. The home office is totally hostile to people coming here. If you're rich you can be rich anywhere in the world but if you're middle class or poorer then it's a much different story. Iran has lots of educated people but not the work for them. It's pretty sad what's happened to Iran but the right now there's a brain drain happening as smart educated Iranians leave to go to other countries. personally I think it's a benefit to the UK to have highly educated Iranians coming here...

It's virtually impossible to emigrate to the UK from Iran for most Iranians. The home office is totally hostile to people coming here. If you're rich you can be rich anywhere in the world but if you're middle class or poorer then it's a much different story. Iran has lots of educated people but not the work for them. It's pretty sad what's happened to Iran but the right now there's a brain drain happening as smart educated Iranians leave to go to other countries. personally I think it's a benefit to the UK to have highly educated Iranians coming here...

We don't like experts. :D

So you manage to get from Iran to the UK on a fake passport, so you’re here illegally. How do you then use your education to your advantage?

I agree with you Mehran, it would benefit the UK to have educated people from Iran and all over the world. But at the same time I think there should be plenty of equally educated people already here and plenty of opportunity for educated people to find work in Iran.

So you manage to get from Iran to the UK on a fake passport, so you’re here illegally. How do you then use your education to your advantage?

I agree with you Mehran, it would benefit the UK to have educated people from Iran and all over the world. But at the same time I think there should be plenty of equally educated people already here and plenty of opportunity for educated people to find work in Iran.

You don't. I suspect when they get to the UK they apply for Asylum and then see what happens.

They can't work whilst their application is being processed. But it won't be in any key skill sector or job. I assume if they get granted asylum then they can work freely.

From HO
A decision will usually be made on straightforward claims within 6 months. If you have waited longer than 12 months for us to make an initial decision on your claim, you can request permission to work.

So maybe ditch the fake passport once your off the inflatable and claim asylum using your true passport.

So maybe ditch the fake passport once your off the inflatable and claim asylum using your true passport.
Even before that. Or even sell the fake passport for re-cycling. Why risk it being found?
Which means they have entered UK as refugees legally, despite having entered EU illegally, and not registered as refugees.

Last edited:

Agree as long as they come by legal means, abide by our laws integrate with our cultures. And come for a beer every now and then.

I'd assume as much. But they have to show they are asylum seekers and not economic migrants. Its why the rejection rate is 66% - I did post the actual numbers.

personally I think it's a benefit to the UK to have highly educated Iranians coming here...

Is it feck. We need more third world immigrants from 'that' religion like a hole in the head. They should stay and make a success of their own country, if they're so bright. But then, it easier to get the British to give them a good life, rather than struggle to do it for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back