Is a unvented cylinder more eco than combi.

Sponsored Links
What's the issue? It's resolved? It's a A+++ boiler and the controls (vsmart are working) to the nearest 0.1 tempreture. The weather compensation is awesome. I've linked it to my alarm via IFTT so it turns off when I leave the house. I've also set it that when I return home give a 30 minute hot water boost.

Back to the question. I wanted to know if my bills would be less than a combi

Sponsored Links
The technical department of a boiler manufacturer was asked this question on the 29th August, they have yet to reply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How was actual effficiency of the [your combi] measured ? The large mass of aluminium heat exchanger has to be heated before any heat energy reaches the water. If the test was for example how much gas was required to raise the temperature of 100 litres of water 40 degs Celcius then two very different results are obtained.
1) the 100 litres are drawn off in one continuous stream. ( heat exchanger heated only once )
2) the 100 litres are drawn off in 20 separate 5 litre flows. ( the heat exchanger cools down while no water is flowing and then has to be reheated )
Which method was used for the test and measurement of efficiency for [your boiler]
Method 1) would give results that the manufacturer would like to see but method 2 is more typical of the operation of a combi gas boiler in a domestic situation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which ( combi or hot water cylinder ) is more efficient does depend on the way you use hot water. The quoted "efficiency" is not the same as performance. A boiler with a high "efficiency" calculated from laboratory test results may perform poorly in a real life installation.

Quite possibly the answer is yes depending on how you draw hot water from the system.

Impossible to say, there are too many variables. The only way to get an accurate answer would be to install a combi in your house and compare bills before and after

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back