Is boiler faulty? Can you help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly old boiler that has given me years of service - recently it has started to smell of paint, like you are using a heat gun when decorating.
I have checked visually via the pilot light and cannot see anything untoward - the flame is blue and not yellow , the one concern I have is that the casing gets so hot you can only just rest your hand on the casing for a moment as its v. v. hot.
There is no soot on the outside that I can see and we have Co2 alarms that havent gone off although it is in a very well vented area.
I have recd conflicting advice - one chap has said that its probably only a spare part that needs replacing whilst one person has said that due to the age of the boiler etc a newer boiler would be best .
At the moment the boiler is switched off and Im a little confussed as to whats what , I would be gratefull for any ideas or advice

Sponsored Links
you need to call in a gassafe chap and examine whats happening, especially where the casing is v.hot, have you noticed this hot spot before and when was it last serviced?

The heating of the case has only been in the last few days - it is very hot !! -

in that case i would consider switching off untill it is looked at, something has failed and has caused the increase in temperature at that point. whereabouts on the boiler is it? any photos ?

Sponsored Links
havent got photos as Im at work - the main spot for heating up is around the pilot light hole .

Switch OFF untill it has been examined by a Gas Safe boiler engineer,
these boilers are old and very in-efficient and well past their sell by date!!

however it may be possible to repair depending on what has happened internally - personally I'd replace the boiler TBH ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back