Is Boris' "Social Services" plan Oven Ready?

This is nuts.

It is not tax avoidance because the tax perk is sanctioned by HM Gov.

Sponsored Links
I wonder whether the money will be spent on private providers to reduce the backlog or increase the NHS capacity.
Does it matter? If you were waiting for an Op, would you care how it was done as long as it was done soon and well? Its the same people doing the work at the end of the day. Why not leverage the private sector to get us over the hump? Surely thats better than building capacity that may not be needed.

This is nuts.

It is not tax avoidance because the tax perk is sanctioned by HM Gov.
That is literally the definition of tax avoidance. ;)

Using an entirely legal loophole/perk to avoid paying some tax.

Sorry, I'm not with you there. This is sanctioned by the Govt. There is no loophole about it!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'm not with you there. This is sanctioned by the Govt. There is no loophole about it!
Loopholes can be sanctioned by the government. Planning your tax to legally avoid paying as much as possible is the definition of 'tax avoidance'.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

You do not plan to avoid tax with the 25% tax free. It is just given to you. It is a default position.

It's not like HMRC take the 25% and people have to plan to grab it back from them.

Does it matter? If you were waiting for an Op, would you care how it was done as long as it was done soon and well? Its the same people doing the work at the end of the day. Why not leverage the private sector to get us over the hump? Surely thats better than building capacity that may not be needed.

No because the Hospitals rely on the acute day cases to subsidise the costs of the more expensive work, whereas the private sector focuses on the low hanging but profitable fruit.

That's why you have coding.

Also if there are issues the private patient will be wheeled into the NHS Hospitals anyway. The private sector can run alongside the NHS but right now if it wasn't for NHS work many of the private hospitals would go bust.

Private supply should be in addition to and not a substiute for NHS capacity.

So the older generation have banked rising house prices and now will get the younger generation who cannot afford homes to pay for them.

Better taxing wealth than income to pay for this.

Its a good point - a few pence on VAT would be fairer. Retired people don't pay NI

Poorer people pay more of their wealth in VAT than the wealthier.

Its a good point - a few pence on VAT would be fairer. Retired people don't pay NI
VAT is regressive compared to NI. Itd hit low paid much harder. I'd stick it on general income tax and dividends. Taxing wealth would be even better but that's unthinkable.

[QUOTE="SirGalahad, post: 5044305, member: 236922")

I said tax on wealth. /QUOTE]

isn't that Capital Gains Tax?

also the effect of inflation in present saving interest?

[QUOTE="SirGalahad, post: 5044305, member: 236922")

I said tax on wealth. /QUOTE]

isn't that Capital Gains Tax?

also the effect of inflation in present saving interest?
Capital gains tax is only realised when you move the money around. Wealth taxes are based on the idea you have the money at all.

For example if there were a 0.5% weath tax and you had a half million pound house and £10,000 in savings you'd pay a tax of £2,550 a year, every year.

And if you were a billionaire you'd be paying a tax of at least £5 million a year.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back