Conservatives get massive boost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
John Bercow defects to Labour with withering attack on Johnson (msn.com)

John Bercow, the former Tory MP and Speaker of the House of Commons, today delivers an extraordinary broadside against Boris Johnson and the Conservative party as he announces he has switched his political allegiance to Labour.

In an explosive interview with the Observer, Bercow says he regards today’s Conservative party as “reactionary, populist, nationalistic and sometimes even xenophobic”.

Bercow, who stepped down as Speaker in 2019 after 10 years, says he joined the Labour party a few weeks ago because he now shares its values and sees it is as the only means to removing the current Tory government from office.

“I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand,” he said. “The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced. The reality is that the Labour party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective. There is no other credible option.”

Bercow says that despite Johnson’s professed commitment to “levelling up”, he has no interest in those less privileged than himself. He also describes as “utterly shameful” the decision to cut international aid.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand why the MP's have this thing about the aid cutting, it's a policy that's extremely popular with the public, yet the majority of MP's want to go in the opposite direction of public opinion..

John bercow is an out right tit. He'll fit in quite well with labour.

I think he hopes that by joining labour he will get his peerage

Sponsored Links
Bercow says he regards today’s Conservative party as “reactionary, populist, nationalistic and sometimes even xenophobic”.
Well done for pointing out the bleeding obvious as regards the nasty party!
(I'd have substituted 'sometimes even xenophobic' with 'institutionally xenophobic/racist')

....with people like sxturbo.

Nothing wrong with that John, I'm a top bloke and a good member of society who will help anyone who needs it.

Politicians on the other hand are hardly selfless so it begs the question if they are feeling so utterly butt hurt by the reduction what is in it for them... We all know they don't do anything to help others without something in return...

If I was Kier, I would, at the very least, keep a tight reign on Bercow. He demonstrated a somewhat obvious disregard for impartiality as the speaker and I personally, would not want him "on my team". Labour really need to be a creditable opposition and respect both Brexit and non Brexit voters. This clowns agenda would definitely not do that.

John Bercow was once a member of the Monday Club -an inner group on the hard right of the Tory party.

If I was Kier, I would, at the very least, keep a tight reign on Bercow. He demonstrated a somewhat obvious disregard for impartiality as the speaker and I personally, would not want him "on my team". Labour really need to be a creditable opposition and respect both Brexit and non Brexit voters. This clowns agenda would definitely not do that.

John Bercow is a toxic figure, he could be dangerous for the Labour Party.

Bercow was framed an enemy of the people by Cummings strategy of uniting brexiteer factions against a common enemy......so he is hated by Brexiters.

In reality John Bercow did his best to stop Johnson's govt from riding roughshod over democracy

John Bercow was once a member of the Monday Club -an inner group on the hard right of the Tory party.
I'm not comfortable with anybody that leans too far in one direction. Given what you have said, it seems like Labour now have a hard right politician who has joined the party just because of his opinions (disagreement with the Government) on Brexit. I can't get my head around a person changing their stance so radically, only a drift slightly each way. I'm not sure which way I will vote next election but this guy doesn't do Labour any favours.
I love Europe and European people but I am pro-Brexit. As a party Labour have lost a huge amount of votes from people that agree with Labour values but not their stance on Brexit.

I am pro-Brexit. As a party Labour have lost a huge amount of votes from people that agree with Labour values but not their stance on Brexit.
They have.

But not yours, surely, as you are pro-Brexit, like them.

Sponsored Links
Back