Conservatives get massive boost

... It isn't for the island of Ireland. The external border is the sea. Land borders are irrelevant. The moon has a circumference of 10,921km therefore there is too much paperwork transporting chilled meat to NI.

I don't believe those stats. I think the honourable member of Stormont is wrong. 12,000 customs paperwork checks in 2 months? If that's 20% of the EUs volume then that means only 30,000 shipments enter the EU from outside the single market. Bullshit.
I don't think they are wrong.
I don't believe those stats
You don't believe them or maybe you don't want to believe them.

Sponsored Links

They're probably not wrong, but they've been skewed by the type of goods and the variety transited.
As previously said a 30 tonne lorry load of fifty different items requires fifty different checks. A shipload of 2000 containers, each carrying 30 tonnes (60,000 tonnes) of one product requires one check.

They're probably not wrong, but they've been skewed by the type of goods and the variety transited.
As previously said a 30 tonne lorry load of fifty different items requires fifty different checks. A shipload of 2000 containers, each carrying 30 tonnes (60,000 tonnes) of one product requires one check.
The EU rules are not designed to cope with an EU border set up in a non EU state.
This situation must be unique.

https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/northern-ireland-protocol-what-should-be-done/

Sponsored Links
The EU rules are not designed to cope with an EU border set up in a non EU state.
This situation must be unique.

https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/northern-ireland-protocol-what-should-be-done/
Have you read the first line of the first paragraph of that website?
In the second of BfB advisory notes to NI Unionists,​
I'm not a NI Unionist, so none of that website is addressed to me, nor applies to me. :rolleyes:
Instead of blaming the EU for Brexit and its repercussions, lay the blame in the right direction: UK government.
It's not the fault of EU, UK Brexit voters, nor UK population, nor UK Parliament, that Boris chose the hardest of hard Brexits.
Neither is it their fault that Boris chose, and agreed to an unpopular solution to an intractable problem.

The EU is not designed to operate on some other country's borders, that's why they're not. The operation of the checks is down to UK officials, with EU oversight only.

It's a tiny number. I know we've done a shocking job on Brexit and caused absurd amounts of paperwork, so the amount they reported for NI is plausible, but I simply don't believe the EU has so little external trade.

Agreed, it sounds positively outrageous, could it be our 'friends' in Europe are applying the same rules differently?
No.

Could it be that you either didnt read the article you linked to, or you did read it, but through xenophobic glasses?

Denis McMahon, permanent secretary at the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (Daera), said the Northern Ireland Protocol is requiring the region to carry out more documentary checks than any European member state.

".....the documentary checks, according to the systems, completed so far would represent one fifth of the equivalent documentation right across the EU.”

He said that is because the protocol is affecting domestic food supply chains, whereas regulatory checks on EU imports are mainly bulk movements of international trade commodities.

The amount of trade wasn't quoted, simply the number of customs checks. You're assuming everything is checked by customs, it's not.
Indeed, he said documentation checks. Are you now claiming that we're checking a massively higher percentage of paperwork than the EU is? Because remember it's our customs and excise people doing these paperwork checks.

Because remember it's our customs and excise people doing these paperwork checks.

With EU oversight, and it's not just paperwork checks, It can be a full physical inspection on some consignments, which was agreed, the problem seems to be with the interpretation of the word 'some'.

With EU oversight, and it's not just paperwork checks, It can be a full physical inspection on some consignments, which was agreed, the problem seems to be with the interpretation of the word 'some'.
How many checks would there be if there was no Brexit?

Indeed, he said documentation checks. Are you now claiming that we're checking a massively higher percentage of paperwork than the EU is? Because remember it's our customs and excise people doing these paperwork checks.
Lets try this again - maybe you will spot it this time.

Denis McMahon, permanent secretary at the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (Daera), said

the Northern Ireland Protocol is requiring the region to carry out more documentary checks than any European member state.

Sponsored Links
Back