I think my position's been made fairly clear in the past on that score

Sponsored Links
raden said:
so a fitter who dosen't know how to do a tightness test is competent

Now, don't het me started on the competence of some CORGIs

that wasnt my point

you said that you DONT have to be corgi registered to carry out gas "work"

not how crap CORGI registerd blokes are, thats another argument.

also if they dont know how to undertake a tightness test how the heck did they pass the CCN1 ACS????

"so a fitter who dosen't know how to do a tightness test is competent
Now, don't het me started on the competence of some CORGIs

that wasnt my point
you said that you DONT have to be corgi registered to carry out gas "work" "

And I keep stressing "on your own appliance" or some such phrase

Sponsored Links
"I repeat if you can't do the basic tests you are not deemed competent

end of story "

Well, of course, but such thinhgs are hardly rocket science, are they ?

what's wrong with asking how to do a gas soundness test ?

Again, you're confusing lack of knowledge with lack of ability

You could say "this is how you do it, and watch out for ..."
rather than "It's bl;ack magic, don't touch"

..And you are definately not allowed to do this unless you are CORGI Registered...If the CORGI person does the job properly as per regulations..

The Gas has to be switched off

The Gas has to be isolated at the meter by capping it and the supply to the house physically disconnected

The Pipe work at the cooker hob can then be disconnected and the required work done.

A pressure meter is applied at the gas meter after reconnection and a pressure test done

A leak detection agent is applied at the hob and a visual test done..

PS my neighbour just had her worktops done and the CORGI registered bloke that came around to do the gas bit did NONE of this!!!!!!!

jogger321 said:
...... the CORGI registered bloke that came around to do the gas bit did NONE of this!!!!!!!
Come off it, jogger! How many of us RGIs do all of that? I don't and I'd be surprised if you find anyone else who does!

"The Gas has to be switched off

The Gas has to be isolated at the meter by capping it and the supply to the house physically disconnected "

While you're at it, you'd better disconnect the UK from the european grid ... just in case, like

You're supposed to use the contunuity bond, remove the whole meter assuming it's on a bracket, and cap the 4 open ends while you're working. Or you can put a blanking disc in of course.

Better get my jump leads back from that bloke I loaned them to.

Chaps..sorry I should have put the title of my answer in the text to make it clearer...I'm studying my NVQ 2 Plumbing and was simply quoting what was demonstrated to us last week as what had to be done by a CORGI registered person in order to legally satisfy the rgas egulations that are in force when doing this job.

I wasn't casting an opinion on whether I thought it was necessary or not...

ChrisR said:
You're supposed to use the contunuity bond, remove the whole meter assuming it's on a bracket, and cap the 4 open ends while you're working. Or you can put a blanking disc in of course.

Better get my jump leads back from that bloke I loaned them to.

Good on ya Chris R

Is there any argument for engineers who work safe with gas but do ignore the basics? Any competent engineer knows a meter doesnt need removing in 95 per cent of pipework alterations.

Experience (and common sence) saves time and customers money.

Im sick of having to re-install fires connected to the baxi 551 because a cheaper engineer has no idea the fires have a pilot light light that needs isolation before a test can be carried out.

David

jogger321 said:
Chaps..sorry I should have put the title of my answer in the text to make it clearer...I'm studying my NVQ 2 Plumbing and was simply quoting what was demonstrated to us last week as what had to be done by a CORGI registered person in order to legally satisfy the rgas egulations that are in force when doing this job.

I wasn't casting an opinion on whether I thought it was necessary or not...

I always do it, always have, it only takes 5 minutes. That said I very seldom solder gas pipe so I'm always by the book when I do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back