Is it legal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I rent out a house. The dishwasher needs replacing. It is has a fused switch above the worktop and the cable from the dishwasher through a plate behind the dishwasher on the wall

Can I legally wire up the new dishwasher, i.e cut the plug off and wire up into the plate? or do I have to get an electrician

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sometime last year we had to replace our washing machine which was located upstairs in the bathroom.

When the guy from John Lewis came to deliver it and saw the switched connection unit he said if I cut of the plug it would invalidate the warranty...

No idea if that's the case but worth checking out..

I suppose you are making a modification to the factory spec..

Sponsored Links
When the guy from John Lewis came to deliver it and saw the switched connection unit he said if I cut of the plug it would invalidate the warranty...
Likely because he didn't want - or know how - to do it.

It may be used as an attempt not to honour the warranty.

If you cut the plug off, remove the fuse and/or bend the pins so it can't be inserted into a socket with the cut ends live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12973829[/QUOTE]
In the late 1980's my father-in-law pointed out to me that I would never forgive myself if I did not fit RCD's and one of my children was hurt so I fitted RCD's to all circuits at the time still with renewable fuses.

But with the case in question it says he got line in one hand and neutral in the other, so clearly the plug was not simply cut off, but must have had the cable stripped back, so it would seem the plug must have been used for something rather than just cut off.

So as with many of the news paper reports seems something has been missed out in the telling of the story.

Sometime last year we had to replace our washing machine which was located upstairs in the bathroom.

I suppose you are making a modification to the factory spec..

IMO its more the fact if the machine is faulty and needs replacement the store will refuse to replace item if the plug has been cut off.
The fault could then be down to incorrect wiring.

You could always disconnect the flex and plug from the appliance and keep it safe, then it can be replaced undamaged, just in case a warranty issue rears it's head at a later date. Then just buy some suitable flex and modify using that.

Why do people wire washing machines to spur units? Last time I came across this I just replaced the spur unit with a 13A socket.

Why do people wire washing machines to spur units? Last time I came across this I just replaced the spur unit with a 13A socket.

Two reasons:
1. Fuse discrimination. It is a basic principle of electrical design not to have two fuses of the same value in the same circuit chain. The largest fuse is always nearer the supply and sized so that the smaller one will blow before the larger.
2. Access to the plug. An appliance full of water is hard to move if the fuse in the plug blows and it is behind the appliance.

Also a flex connection plate is not as deep as a plug and socket. This is needed in many situations so that the machine does not stand out from the base unit. I will ALWAYS use one for an integrated built in appliance.

Two reasons:
1. Fuse discrimination. It is a basic principle of electrical design not to have two fuses of the same value in the same circuit chain. The largest fuse is always nearer the supply and sized so that the smaller one will blow before the larger.
2. Access to the plug. An appliance full of water is hard to move if the fuse in the plug blows and it is behind the appliance.

Also a flex connection plate is not as deep as a plug and socket. This is needed in many situations so that the machine does not stand out from the
base unit. I will ALWAYS use one for an integrated built in appliance.

1. There is only 1 13A fuse after the consumer unit in either case, either in the plug or in the fused spur unit.
2. But the fused spur unit is often behind the appliance as well! Anyway if the fuse has blown there is a fault and most likely the replacement will blow as well, so an appliance full of water remains.
3. I concede on the thickness issue, but even so a plug and socket well placed (perhaps in an adjacent cupboard) is no issue.

4, If it is in a bathroom where a normal socket outlet is not allowed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back