Is my neighbour's garden room breaking regs

My guess is you have looked at class A - General Extensions and Alterations, which allows a max 4m height regardless of boundary. But this does not come under class A, it comes under class E - Outbuildings and Pools, which restricts height to 2.5m when within 2m of the boundary.

Sponsored Links
I really cannot understand why there is so much banging on about 2.5m as that only apples to the EVES height. Its the distance from the ground level to the eves and the 3m for the rest of the roof if single pitch or 4 m for a dual pitch....can you lot not read ?

So if the rear wall is within 2m of a boundary that wall must be no higher than 2.5m from ground level which it looks like it is, the roof can go up to 4m which it does as a dual pitched roof. Its perfectly fine.
methinks you are confusing outbuildings with extensions. Within 2m ALL the building has to be below 2.5m https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf point 8 and @jeds beat me to it :)

QED

Class E – buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse
Permitted development
E. The provision within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—

(a)any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of such a building or enclosure; or
(b)a container used for domestic heating purposes for the storage of oil or liquid petroleum gas.

Development not permitted
E.1 Development is not permitted by Class E if—

(a)permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class [F1G,] M, [F2MA,] N, P [F3, PA] or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);
(b)the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse);
(c)any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse;
(d)the building would have more than a single storey;
(e)the height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed—
(i)4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,
(ii)2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, or
(iii)3 metres in any other case;
(f)the height of the eaves of the building would exceed 2.5 metres;
(g)the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated within the curtilage of a listed building;
(h)it would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform;
(i)it relates to a dwelling or a microwave antenna; F4...
(j)the capacity of the container would exceed 3,500 litres [F5; or]
[F6(k)the dwellinghouse is built under Part 20 of this Schedule (construction of new dwellinghouses).]

Sponsored Links
Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

• No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms (a platform must not exceed 0.3 metres in height)
  • No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from the house to be limited to 10 square metres.
  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

EDIT - Also beaten to it.

I really cannot understand why there is so much banging on about 2.5m as that only apples to the EVES height. Its the distance from the ground level to the eves and the 3m for the rest of the roof if single pitch or 4 m for a dual pitch....can you lot not read ?

So if the rear wall is within 2m of a boundary that wall must be no higher than 2.5m from ground level which it looks like it is, the roof can go up to 4m which it does as a dual pitched roof. Its perfectly fine.
Try reading the relevant regs yourself buddy…then edit your post accordingly ;)

That’s in Scotland

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back