Is ok to add a socket from a blanked off spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hoping someone who knows more than me can advise.

In the kitchen on a stud wall there was a fused spur connected to warm air heating system, as far as I know this is on the main socket ring. As it's not used it just has a block connector to maintain the circuit and will have a blank plate over it.

Is it OK to add a new socket further down the wall and just connect to the connector block? I'm a a bit confused because most discussions are about connecting a new socket to an old one.

Sponsored Links
If it is definitely on the ring circuit then yes connect into the existing connectors and blank off again. Make sure the connections are sound.
Is the existing socket circuit protected by a 30mA RCD as buried cables require this as well as the new socket itself.

You'll need to leave a blank plate over the connections though, and not plaster or tile over them or anything.

Sponsored Links
You would need to confirm the configuration of the circuit.
*Is it a ring final circuit and not a radial?
*If ring final, is it part of the whole ring or is it a spur from a spur set up?
*If part of whole ring (not spurred), do you have 30mA RCD protection for any newly buried cable and additional socket.
* Is it part of a fused spur set up?

*My solution would be if it is a ring final and not a spur arrangement or a radial circuit, but has no RCD protection, would be to fit a 13A 30mA RCD protected fused connection unit at the existing blanked of box, then connect a new socket to that.

*If it is a whole ring (not spurred) or radial with 30mA RCD protection, you could either connect to it using a blank plate or even a 13A fused connection unit, the latter would allow for more than one socket outlet to be connected.

*If part of fused spur set up, you could but again newly buried and socket require RCD protection.

*if it is a spur arrangement from a ring final circuit, you cannot connect a socket, but a little more investigation may help come up with a solution.

13A fused connection with 30mA RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back