Is this a bit dodgy with a charger?

Here's my charger. All parts from china. I don't think it does 200ma, but makes no difference to me.

I would be wary of using that. It's not designed to charge batteries, seems to be just an uncontrolled output and would take forever to charge a depleted battery. I keep a similar one in the caravan for emergencies, but it's voltage controlled output and a more sensible 1amp output.

Sponsored Links
I would be wary of using that. It's not designed to charge batteries, seems to be just an uncontrolled output and would take forever to charge a depleted battery. I keep a similar one in the caravan for emergencies, but it's voltage controlled output and a more sensible 1amp output.
You forgot the conversation was about perma-charging.

You forgot the conversation was about perma-charging.

No I didn't. I would not connect any sort of power supply or uncontrolled charger as a matter of permanence to one of my batteries.

I'm not even seeing any obvious fault protection in that device in your photo. A car battery is very able to deliver 1000amps into that device, if it should develop a fault, which would make a fair old mess. I would suggest cutting the +ve lead as close as possible to the croc clip, and adding a fuseholder with a 1amp fuse.

Don't you think those thin wires are already a fuse? You haven't considered the possibility of the battery polarity reversing, in which case your fuse would be at the wrong place. In any case, my charger sits on a circuit breaker that sits on the house circuit breaker.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't you think those thin wires are already a fuse?

Do you feel safe, relying on the thin wires to act as a fuse, I would not?

You haven't considered the possibility of the battery polarity reversing, in which case your fuse would be at the wrong place. In any case, my charger sits on a circuit breaker that sits on the house circuit breaker.

The fuse would still disconnect on overload, but safer in the +ve lead for a car charger. A proper, reasonably modern charger, would include reverse connection protection, all of mine do.

Er - your circuit breakers will offer zero protection if the secondary side of that unit develops a fault and shorts the battery. Your circuit breakers only provide limited protection from overload on the mains side of the unit.

Do you feel safe, relying on the thin wires to act as a fuse, I would not?
I would, especially when some one is trying to transmit 1000A down them. Also, the wires in the adaptor could be even smaller. The chinese like to cut it lean and dump it cheap. I doubt even 400ma would get through.

I would, especially when some one is trying to transmit 1000A down them. Also, the wires in the adaptor could be even smaller. The chinese like to cut it lean and dump it cheap. I doubt even 400ma would get through.

I would judge them perfectly able up to pass 5amps at least, but the point is - with fault current passing those thin wires the PVC insulation will likely catch fire, setting fire to anything in the area. A fuse is designed to safely rupture, with nothing combustible near it, contained in a metal/glass metal/ceramic sleeve.

I would judge them perfectly able up to pass 5amps at least, but the point is - with fault current passing those thin wires the PVC insulation will likely catch fire, setting fire to anything in the area. A fuse is designed to safely rupture, with nothing combustible near it, contained in a metal/glass metal/ceramic sleeve.
What if lightning strikes you while you were plugging in your BS standard charger? Won't your hair catch on fire and cause your caravan to ignite? But, sometimes you just have to accept your risks. I am perfectly happy to accept my risks, and it works very well for me. You don't hear me complaining about my charger needing this or that thing done to it after a power cut. I plug in and forget, until I need the battery again.

why not just buy a battery disconnect switch...the battery will sit there for months if its not discharging.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
why not just buy a battery disconnect switch...the battery will sit there for months if its not discharging.
Then someone will steal your car, and the insurance will refuse to pay because you tampered with the car's security device.

Then someone will steal your car, and the insurance will refuse to pay because you tampered with the car's security device.
How on earth did you come up with that ? I know lets steal a car with no power, first we shall break in to it with a hammer as the cloned plipper no longer opens door then we shall break the steering lock then I shall start the car by using electricity ...oh hang on wheres the electricty gone, all the computers no worky...I know I shall add some electricity, now computers work, oh alarm go of and immobiliser work.hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Point to where it says you must always have a battery in the car, for that matter show where its says you must always keep it locked....

That is one of the most stupid things i have ever heard well along with I shall be here as PM until the next election...your not liz truss are you ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
How on earth did you come up with that ? I know lets steal a car with no power, first we shall break in to it with a hammer as the cloned plipper no longer opens door then we shall break the steering lock then I shall start the car by using electricity ...oh hang on wheres the electricty gone, all the computers no worky...I know I shall add some electricity, now computers work, oh alarm go of and immobiliser work.hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Point to where it says you must always have a battery in the car, for that matter show where its says you must always keep it locked....

That is one of the most stupid things i have ever heard well along with I shall be here as PM until the next election...your not liz truss are you ?
Liz wasn't stupid. She got 100k a year for life from a few weeks' work. Disabling the alarm increases chance of theft. They could put your car on bricks and take the wheels.

All very well, but the problem with smart chargers is that a button needs to be pressed to start/engage them. A glitch, or power cut, and you may not realise they are no longer functioning.
Lidi one needs button pressing, ctek does not, pros and cons for both, Lidi one better if a cell goes short circuit, ctec better if a power cut.

Sponsored Links
Back