Is this a C1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all. I'm my sh1te 5 bed room HMO, I have a lamp holder with a regular G22 in it, bare naked right above the bath/shower (over bath). I know it's a bad thing, but would/should a landlord be aware? Been here 4½ years so a new check should be due soon (every 5 years I believe).

I swear he must be FK buddies with whoever does these tests. So many other issues here but just wondering If i can use this as another excuse to pith him off?

Thanks in advance all. I can post pics of the proximity if anyone is interested. (You need to stand in the bath to change the 'bulb') If that makes sense.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
C2 in my book if 2.25 m or less off the finished floor and within 600mm of the edge of the bath

C1 is for exposed copper

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1697526629978.png

I can touch it from the bath though?
But why would you want to? The EICR is not to see if built today it would comply with regulations, it is to report the condition, so if OK when fitted, and nothing has changed, then it's still OK.

In real terms things do change, LED lighting for example, so the inspector has to take into account changes. There is no right and wrong, one inspector can give code C2 and another C3 for same observation.

C1 codes should never really be given, as anything which would attract a code C1 should be corrected before he leaves. Even if that is simply to lock off the circuit, but once locked off then no danger so no longer code C1.

OK there are faults which are technically a C1 like blank missing on a consumer unit, where gaffa tape would be good enough until the correct blank is purchased and fitted, so in the real world code C1 is used.

The problem is technically if any C1 issued then the occupants would need to be rehoused, to be told sorry you need to move out is not really what a tenant wants, 28 days is not long, in my own house when I found no RCD protection it took 6 months to correct, 28 days is not long.

So coding as C3 gives time to correct, which can help both tenant and landlord, but only if ths landlord realises it still needs doing.

There have been loads of arguments over RCD protection. Personally I have had all circuits RCD protected for the last 40 years, but that was because I had a son who became a radio ham, and I wanted to protect him. But as to if I can insist on there use when others are paying is not cut and dried. Morally I feel they should be fitted, as tenant unable to fit them them selves, but as to forcing the landlords hand not so sure.

I am at the moment fighting to get my central heating returned to RCD protection, but all stopped due to daughter catching Colvid, best laid plans etc. But I have a month old compliance certificate to say all OK without RCD protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back