Is this a forum member?

Sponsored Links
I did something similar when fitting a TV wall bracket. I used a stud detector to find a stud and checked with a metal detector to make sure that there weren't any cables or pipes behind. The third hole went straight into a plastic water pipe fastened to the side of the stud. The pipe was for a cloakroom in the room behind, but wasn't particularly close to either the basin or WC it was supplying. The stud detector had shown it as part of the stud.

Not sure what I could have done differently really. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
It could be one post wonder or a forum expert, hasn't everyone done it. Its how you respond. In this case dont panic and get a bucket/ turn off at the stop cock. One thing I have learnt as a diyer is not to panic at the sight of water, it tends to dry out. Just have sufficient isolators within easy reach.

Blup

Whenever I drill through a wall, I try to work ot where pipe might be and use a metal detector.
Always been lucky with pipes, but I have hit random electric cables relying on the safe zones principle.
90s properties are the worst for this.

Whenever I drill through a wall, I try to work ot where pipe might be and use a metal detector.
Always been lucky with pipes, but I have hit random electric cables relying on the safe zones principle.
90s properties are the worst for this.

Our first house was built in 1991. When I was younger and more naïve, I decided to hang a nice mirror above the gas fireplace. I didn't have a detector but assumed the gas supply would not run anywhere directly above the mantlepiece. I drilled the first hole and went straight into a gas pipe. The hole couldn't have been more central which I suppose was a very good thing. Pic attached.

Five years later I put a coat rack up for my now mother-in-law who lives in a property built in 1988 on the same estate we did. The coat rack was to go above the radiator. So I checked for metal pipes with a detector, looked for any obvious chasing in, etc. --- everything I could do... Drilled the first hole and went straight into a plastic water pipe! Don't have a pic for this one, but managed to fix the same day.

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpeg
    IMG_7219.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 120
I installed the plumbing in the bath room and then a few minutes later when fitting the 12mm plywood suspended floor over the pipes I put a screw into a central heating pipe.

screw into pipe bath.jpg

Many moons ago I rewired my ex-father-in-laws house and we began screwing the floorboards back down.
When I wasn't looking he placed the last two short boards in place and said they just needed screwing down. Each board had 3 screw holes across each end and I only had 4 screws left. He said to just put one in each central hole, so I did.
Sitting down having a cuppa and a fag when we heard a hissing sound. Investigation revealed one of the last screws had gone through the gas pipe!

Reactions: CBW
one of the last screws had gone through the gas pipe!
I had this recently, the joiner had replaced some floorboards in the bathroom, he had even marked in pencil where the pipes were, he still managed to go through the gas pipe! :LOL:

i have done the same - on floorboards - took them up and marked where the pipes went.
one section had a hole in the floor board for a nail - but under it was the CH pipes
we moved the bed about a year later and other half said doesn't that need a nail to fix , so i got a nail and banged it in, only to be covered in CH water !!!!!!!

This is why I've always been reluctant to do things like putting up shelves for family/friends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back