Is this a sign of poor workmanship?

Sponsored Links
We first fixed a job, left site whilst the numbnuts plasterers came in. On commissioning the installation we found a short on one of our cables.

We tracked it down to a drywall screw.

Now there's no way I'm spending hours making good that wall because of someone else's incompetence.

image.jpg
image.jpg

It's been known for a plasterer to plasterboard or plaster round a metal back box so badly the socket can't be screwed back securely..
It's even been known for one of them to drywall right over an outlet box and hide it completely!
A colleague of mine built a large extension, with 12 double socket-outlets and a four light switches. Being old-school, he'd left about a foot of looped T & E at each backbox. Went away for a few days while the plasterers were in - they'd plasterboarded and skimmed over every backbox! When he ripped off some of the plasterboard he found they'd taken a lot of trouble to dress the cables into each backbox so that the plasterboard would fit over the top.
What was going through the plasterers' minds when they did that?

This was a job recently, photos are of supply and control cabling for a boiler.
As the kitchen drawings were 600mm out(!!) it was decided that the best way to run the supply was to drop it from the ceiling, and trunk down into the boiler cupboard.

When the plasters came to wet plaster the wall, they decided they didn't like our supply cable, so bashed a nail about half way down the cable to hold it onto the other wall!
IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi

I've just had a quote back for a full electrical rewire. In between the first and second fix the house is being plastered/skimmed over. The electrician has said that making good after second fix will be down to others.

Surely, after a second fix, if the electricians cause damage to the surrounding plaster on the sockets they would use a little bit of filler to make good? If they don't, to me it seems they are allowed to make a right mess of the plaster and just walk away with others to clear up the mess.

Am I wrong about this or is this the standard practise?

Thanks H0llies

If you have told them the house is being skimmed, they are bound to say they are not making good. I wouldn't either. Why would we? An allowance has been made on the quote to omit this work, making it cheaper. Glad I'm not working for you.

They are not talking about damage during second fix.

.... they'd plasterboarded and skimmed over every backbox! When he ripped off some of the plasterboard he found they'd taken a lot of trouble to dress the cables into each backbox so that the plasterboard would fit over the top.
What was going through the plasterers' minds when they did that?
Totally off-topic, but in relation to "What was going through their minds when they did that?" ....

.... once upon a time (in the 70s) there was a brand new hospital. After it had been partially open for quite a while (weeks/months), the senior nurse in charge of the Operating Theatres enquired as to why her theatres were numbered something like 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7. It was initially thought that there has just been an error of 'labelling them' but it was fairly soon established that there was, indeed, one less operating theatre than they should have been.

After a lot of pondering over building plans (and, I imagine, some 'very interesting' discussions!!), a team of men with large sledge hammers (and probably powered versions thereof!) was assembled, and shown which wall to hit, and where. Not only did they find the missing theatre (and associated anaesthetics room), but it was nearly totally fitted out - tiled, floored, and full of all the expected fixtures and fittings, plumbing, electrics, gases etc. ... so what on earth was "in the minds" of those who put in the last few blocks to "wall it in" :)

Kind Regards, John

The college where I used to work had a very expensive new block built. The plans for the internal walls of the top storey were upside-down with respect to the outer walls and to the lower floors. The brickies built an internal wall, complete with doorway, across a stairwell, supported only by a scaffold plank...:eek:

Back in the day, I worked for an ex pro rugby player, his method of finding plastered over boxes was to smash random holes in the new plaster and call in the plasterer to show him, they only did it once

It's been known for a plasterer to plasterboard or plaster round a metal back box so badly the socket can't be screwed back securely..
It's even been known for one of them to drywall right over an outlet box and hide it completely!

I did an extension in the early 90's where the plasterer thought it was hilarious to completely plaster the wall, ignoring all socket and switch boxes....B@stard.

And when they wet plaster a wall, totally fill the boxes and leave a tiny 5p sized hole for your twin box, so you can see where it is. But they know they're gonna get more work when, inevitably, the plaster cracks when you're trying to chop out 25mm+ deep muck without damaging cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back