Is this boiler "fault" normal - video

Would the power flush have cleared this type of blockage ?
Blocked cold feed I believe

I'm dubious about that because a powerflush connects in place of your CH pump so would just pump around the CH circuit, would it have any real effect on the top of the gravity pipes?

Although the quote from BG did say "recommend powerflush with particular emphasis on gravity circuit". I assume you can connect the machine up to the feed and return pipes at the boiler if you wanted to.

Sponsored Links
a power flush might clear a partial blockage it will not clear a total blockage

Sponsored Links
At around £700 to clear a simple one off blockage BG guy must be in the BG good books (very good book).

Power flushing could be the next ppi :idea:
Not really, its in our T+Cs that sludge and scale aren't covered. It could have been unblocked manually but a flush covers all bases for us in this respect and we would have charged for the labour to unblock that one section either way.

Powerflushing wont be the next PPI as its not something that we sneak in. Customer has a quote, they sign the quote etc. If its mis-diagnosed then there are processes for that work to be refunded or the job/charges cancelled.

It could have been unblocked manually
How much would that cost (i assume you are BG direct labour) just interested as it seems like a common fault just needing a drain out,cut out cold feed tee area,catch any trapped water,manually remove blockage,refit with compression fittings add inhibitor,fill system test,do paperwork,No more than a 90 minute job (3 bed hse).

He then went on to say it's "probably" caused by the overheating flow, but until we've spent £700 on a powerflush he won't diagnose further.

How much would that cost (i assume you are BG direct labour) just interested as it seems like a common fault just needing a drain out,cut out cold feed tee area,catch any trapped water,manually remove blockage,refit with compression fittings add inhibitor,fill system test,do paperwork,No more than a 90 minute job (3 bed hse).
Couple of hundred probably. I rarely quote for work so i don't know an exact price.

In case anyone is interested, this is now fixed. It was a damaged flame sensor cable. I noticed one of the dads at my sons cub scouts group turned up in a van proclaiming he was GSR, so although I didn't know him, took the plunge and showed him my video and instead of hanging around waiting for cubs to finish agreed to pop round and have a quick look.

It looks like when the BG engineer "repaired" the ignition cable he managed to twist the brittle flame sensor cable which was now making minimal contact. He said if I got myself a new flame/ignition cable he'd fit them, and since then the problem hasn't occurred once.

So lets recap:
Initial problem: Worn out ignition cable. £99 to BG to "repair" it by sticking it together with tape and damaging the flame sensor cable in the process.
Second visit, another £99, now we know it was a damaged flame sensor cable but BG went away advising a £685 powerflush and £3000 for a new boiler

£31 to source new ignition/flame rods myself and the promise of a few beers to my new mate for fitting them.

I think I'll be cancelling my BG cover from now on! (although I did get a new aquastat/ignition pcb/thermistor and gas valve worth over £600 for a £99 call last September so it was worth it in the long run).

In case anyone is interested, this is now fixed. It was a damaged flame sensor cable. I noticed one of the dads at my sons cub scouts group turned up in a van proclaiming he was GSR, so although I didn't know him, took the plunge and showed him my video and instead of hanging around waiting for cubs to finish agreed to pop round and have a quick look.

It looks like when the BG engineer "repaired" the ignition cable he managed to twist the brittle flame sensor cable which was now making minimal contact. He said if I got myself a new flame/ignition cable he'd fit them, and since then the problem hasn't occurred once.

So lets recap:
Initial problem: Worn out ignition cable. £99 to BG to "repair" it by sticking it together with tape and damaging the flame sensor cable in the process.
Second visit, another £99, now we know it was a damaged flame sensor cable but BG went away advising a £685 powerflush and £3000 for a new boiler

£31 to source new ignition/flame rods myself and the promise of a few beers to my new mate for fitting them.

I think I'll be cancelling my BG cover from now on! (although I did get a new aquastat/ignition pcb/thermistor and gas valve worth over £600 for a £99 call last September so it was worth it in the long run).
I think if you read back I told you it was not a blockage problem post#20 I told you it was a rectification problem, then you went on about kettling and overheating, and indeed you had a rectification problem.

I think if you read back I told you it was not a blockage problem post#20 I told you it was a rectification problem, then you went on about kettling and overheating, and indeed you had a rectification problem.

Yep, but at that point I had the blockage in the gravity HW as well causing the overheating, so two issues. It was your posts that made my mind up about getting a second opinion rather than getting BG back once the blockage was cleared. I told him I'd read it was probably a rectification problem.

So a belated thanks for that!

An epilogue to this tale...

I raised a complaint to BG because a) got charged for a call out which didn't spot or fix a really obvious fault (broken flame sensor), and b) the previous callout should have replaced the broken brittle ignition cable, not taped it up and highly likely breaking the flame sensor cable in the process causing the second fault, and c) seemingly more interested in trying to persuade me to pay £700 for a flush or £3000 for a new boiler, neither of which were needed.

The local service manager investigated, agreed with all my complaints, refunded me the callouts and as a goodwill gesture made a payment for the parts I ended up sourcing myself to fix it.

I'm normally too mild-mannered and British to complain about anything usually, glad I did this time.

thats the problem IAN they just read it and take no notice because they think its something else in their own mind so just treat it as a throw away comment :rolleyes:
Yep, but at that point I had the blockage in the gravity HW as well causing the overheating, so two issues. It was your posts that made my mind up about getting a second opinion rather than getting BG back once the blockage was cleared. I told him I'd read it was probably a rectification problem.
ye thats coincidental don't you think ;)

I cant be bothered reading the reams of pages but why would any one pay a monthly fee to anyone with the proviso that a £99 callout fee ("excess" will be applied.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back