Is this condensation or damp ?

Whatever is done, here are two things NOT to do.

1) apply any render or water-sealing gunk to the exterior brickwork
2) directly apply insulation to the internal wall without a ventilated gap - you just insulate the solid wall from internal warmth and it takes far longer to dry out. (Cavity walls with a ventilated cavity IMHO can be directly insulated internally)

Sponsored Links
I'm on work break, so to quickly add:

Doubtful its anything to do with the gutters - the damp signs show in the sheltered area under the window sill.
The very high sand and cement plinth, and the enormous sloping fillet of sand and cement are assisting capillary action above any DPC and allowing penetration of your solid wall.
I notice the area where water is puddling on you path. Is the ground sloping towards the house?

I also notice that the neighbour has installed a new pathway to falls - falls that slope back, & lead water to a gulley. This suggests that they've also had penetrating damp issues.

All along the internal front elevation: remove (probably replace) the skirting board, & Knock off the wet plaster back to brick to a height say 300mm above the highest signs of damp.
Then render the wall with a 3:1 mix of sand & lime, and limelite skim finish.

Outside, remove the fillet and the plinth back to brick and clean and re-point the brickwork.
If the ground slopes towards the house then you will have to slope it away perhaps as the neighbour seems to have done?

So the sloping red stuff is causing issues as it appears to be acting like a bridge to allow damp ingress inside the solid wall. The fillet is the sliping stuff, what is the plinty please ?
Also the gutter pipe to the left just pours water onto the footpath which slopes to the left as you stand in front of the house, its on an inclined hill. If its not possible to salvage the bricks and hack off the sloppy red stuff, can it be plastered flush with the bricks ?

There was also some dampcoursing works done in 2016, I will try to contact the company tomorrow to understand what they did and where. On the certificate it says Newton.

Sure those air bricks will just channel water down them each time it rains?

My guess is that the whole front was raised at some point, probably because somebody didn't like a step, and now needs to come down. But ... is it level with the path?

Sponsored Links
FWIW: its common knowledge for people who understand the building trade that rising damp can rise higher than shown - I've seen & worked on rising damp at 1.5m to 1.6m high.
On a D&T Surveyors course, Professor Oliver showed pics of 3m high rising damp.
So, factoring in the other variables mentioned above, the damp we see on the wall is most likely rising damp.
All damp is unhealthy, all damp destroys fabric.

The idea that heating the property for a few months will resolve things, & disregarding all the other info supplied in the OP's text & pics, is misleading misinformation.
What used to be called "wilful ignorance".

OP,
1. The plinth is the vertical band of sand & cement showing above the slope.
2. I'd suggest you First remove all interior damage and the exterior plinth and fillet - & then post pics of whats been exposed. Care is needed when working near the utility box.
3. Please post a pic showing where the "gutter pipe" discharges water?
4. Ref 2016, Damp surveyors usually issue a report with a whats to be done list - where is your report?
5. The "newton" you mention is Newton tanking methods - there's no evidence of Newton waterproofing in your interior pics.
6. No sign of an injected DPC either.

mrrusty,
why have you posted the Heritage House site?

New
mrrusty,
why have you posted the Heritage House site?

Because i totally agree with it and everything that is said there concurs with what I have seen and found in my experience working on old houses. I believe "rising damp" doesn't exist.

Godwasaplasterer

Thank you, Thank you. Praise the Lord - fools rush in etc.

I quote your words: "30 years in the trade. Never heard such nonsense." Neither have I.
But please dont beat yourself up for listening to your inner voices. They say confession is the beginning of redemption.
Do you get out much?

I can back up what I said with technical evidence.
Godwasaplaterer, Please tell me what your technical objections are to 3m high rising damp?

Last edited:
I've seen reports about rising damp in Venice going up a few metres. Said to go higher in thicker walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back