Is this condensation or damp ?

and the topic has been done to death already

I'm not so sure that's true - I agree, done to death in that it gets discussed ad infinitum every time someone has a damp wall, but done to death to the extent there is a true consensus of opinion maybe not. It's a funny old world where businesses are springing up to remove e.g. cavity wall insulation - a whole new industry based around misconceptions about how buildings perform in the British climate...

Sponsored Links
Like brexit as long as there are strongly opposing views the debate will continue.....

Blup

mrrusty,
Stop, please stop talking bo.......cks - for the sake of our Saviour, & your own sanity, stop now.
You dont even realise how what you say is lacking logic and is contradictory.
Yes, contradictory - you keep tripping over yourself. You say one thing and the next thing out of your mouth contradicts what you've just said.
Do keep posting but please think before saying silly things in public.

Certain subjects such as rising damp are constantly queried by worried OP's - why? Because its all new to them. Rising Damp can be a frighteningly new & a possibly expensive discovery if say an OP has just bought a house & discovered what to them are alarming conditions.

So responders often have to be patient & re-invent the wheel of rising damp explanations for each & every OP.
I used to include chemical testing info for DIY'ers to determine where the moisture had come from but it seemed to be too confusing for many of them - so I gave it up.

Sponsored Links
The learned Professor Oliver who showed the pic of 3m high rising damp also noted its rarity, and emphasised the pic was of an extremely thick wall in a 18thC building. It was an exception.

But the circumstances are irrelevant to my claim that 3m high rising damp exists.

mrrusty,
Stop, please stop talking bo.......cks - for the sake of our Saviour, & your own sanity, stop now.
no need to swear and blaspheme, tell. Real men don't swear.

Certain subjects such as rising damp are constantly queried by worried OP's - why? Because its all new to them. Rising Damp can be frighteningly new -
As can your opinions, instructions to rip off plaster, knock out fireplace openings, use loads of lime render and always need pictures? Then never really give a useful answer. Perhaps it would be better for all if you admitted that you have been here for years under different names, starting with "ree" allegedly from the USA. Then posters could see how you view yourself and abuse other posters ?

As can your opinions, instructions to rip off plaster, knock out fireplace openings, use loads of lime render and always need pictures? Then never really give a useful answer. Perhaps it would be better for all if you admitted that you have been here for years under different names, starting with "ree" allegedly from the USA. Then posters could see how you view yourself and abuse other posters ?
That is it in a nutshell.

Always asks for photos, always recommends lots of [unnecessary] investigation and opening up, generally gives incorrect inappropriate recommendations.

I'd hate to be one of the OPs on the receiving end - comes for some free advice, ends up spending thousands, does not solve the problem. :rolleyes:

"I'd hate to be one of the OPs on the receiving end - comes for some free advice, ends up" being insulted and subjected to sniggering sarcasm by an aged inadequate who finally gets a sense of superiority to the OP's vulnerability by pretending that he's better than the OP.

You are not better aged man - you are sad and lonely as 16 yrs of 24/7 responding on here prove.

"I'd hate to be one of the OPs on the receiving end - comes for some free advice, ends up" being insulted and subjected to .
2 Posts deleted by mods recently - you're showing your true colours . Keep taking the meds tell:ROFLMAO: October 2015 you started as ree , then vinn and several versions of tel and ted. All riddled with abuse of other trades and some sycophantic brown nosing of OP's.

Last edited:
@platforminc originally said
Its a terrace house and it has not been habited for about 6 months or more

And now let's look at a real-world case study. This is my outside bog currently under refurb. The room next to it is an unheated store, and the room next to that is a heated office, so one wall of the bog is warmer than the rest. Currently no door on it so open to outside. Weather last few days has been freezing 1-2 degrees so fabric of building is very cold. Today it's a bit warmer 5 degrees or so and damper. Look what we have. Visible condensation on the surface of the wall 2m up and the coldest parts of the wall are visibly damp.

This happens all the time. Buildings get cold, the weather changes, the air gets warmer and damper and condensation seeks out all the cold areas and makes the fabric of the building damp. Inevitably if there is any heat gradient at all, the lower areas will be colder than the upper areas, and just a few degrees difference can initiate visibly wet condensation.

So, to go back right to the beginning. Condensation or damp? I'm not sure you can really tell for sure until you get a little heat back in the building...

Image4.jpg Image5.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back