Is this fusebox illegal

Sponsored Links
Just a thought ...
Could there be an element of "the whole circuit needs to be RCD protected, so no point mentioning RCD sockets" thinking having crept in ? And then some (as suggested) failure to do joined up ammendments ?
Without digging out the book to look it up, and before quotes were posted, I was thinking in terms of the additional protection required for hidden cables. Clearly an RCD socket could not provide that :rolleyes: But an RCD FCU could for the downstream wiring.

Does it really matter....i only asked about wiring up a bath...its being done next week and going throught my garage cu as it has an rcd...why bother arguing... this sites full of know it alls ... can you not just join together and help people out with positive advice instead of arguing with each other over ****e

... can you not just join together and help people out with positive advice ...
I think we've tried that, and I would say that the most important bit of positive advice you've been given (by several people) is that you appear to have some potentially dangerous wiring, and I think most of us would advise that addressing that should be given a higher priority than 'wiring up a bath'. It is, of course, for you to decided upon your personal priorities and choices.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Just a thought ... Could there be an element of "the whole circuit needs to be RCD protected, so no point mentioning RCD sockets" thinking having crept in ? And then some (as suggested) failure to do joined up ammendments ?
Who knows?! However, per what I quoted (411.3.3) in post #77 above, if there is no requirement for an RCD because of 'buried cable', the "whole circuit" would not necessarily have to be RCD-protected. 411.3.3 says only that the socket outlets have to be protected (not the circuit supplying them) - so even a brand new circuit (that didn't need RCD protection for buried cable) supplying one or more RCD sockets (and no no-RCD-protected) sockets would seemingly be compliant..
Without digging out the book to look it up, and before quotes were posted, I was thinking in terms of the additional protection required for hidden cables. Clearly an RCD socket could not provide that :rolleyes: But an RCD FCU could for the downstream wiring.
Again, as you can see from what I quoted in #77 above, BS7671's view of 'additional protection' is wider than just 'buried cable'. Indeed, I think you'll find that the concept of 'additional protection' (provided by RCDs) existed in BS7671 long before there was a requirement for buried cables to be RCD-protected.

Kind Regards, Jon

I think we've tried that, and I would say that the most important bit of positive advice you've been given (by several people) is that you appear to have some potentially dangerous wiring, and I think most of us would advise that addressing that should be given a higher priority than 'wiring up a bath'. It is, of course, for you to decided upon your personal priorities and choices.

Kind Regards, John

Advice taken john and it will be something that we deal with next year and we will also be looking to move the new cu to the back wall in the cupboard to make it more accessible and more compliant with regulations.....cheers

Advice taken john and it will be something that we deal with next year and we will also be looking to move the new cu to the back wall in the cupboard to make it more accessible and more compliant with regulations.....cheers
Fair enough. One thing to bear in mind is that, if there were a fire and enough of your house were left for the insurers to be able to ascertain the nature of electrical wring present, they might well not pay out on a claim.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back