Is this fusebox illegal

I meant an error in BS 7671 531.3.6 in that it doesn't explicitly allow BS 7288, perhaps?
Ah, I see. That's obviously very different from what Risteard suggested - namely that it was deliberately omitted from BS 7671 because hearsay had told him that BS 7288 forbade the use of devices to that Standard as providers of 'additional protection' unless there was another upstream RCD device.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
One of these things, for example

K22-MP10.jpg

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/bs7288-powerbreaker-rcds-10ma-rcd-twin-switched-socket-metal-bs7288-1663

used to be popular in garages or where you might plug in garden tools "for equipment to be used outdoors" and the house circuit did not have RCD protection.

"
Full Description
BS 7288:2016 applies to residual current-operated devices (RCD) incorporated in, or specifically intended for use with, single pole and neutral and single pole and switched neutral and double pole socket-outlets, with provision of earthing of the socket-outlet for household and similar uses (SRCD: socket-outlet residual current devices). SRCDs, according to this standard, are intended to be used in single phase systems such as phase to neutral. SRCDs are only intended to provide supplementary protection downstream of the SRCD. SRCDs are intended for use in circuits where the fault protection and additional protection are already assured upstream of the SRCD."

Well, I didn't look at the other standards, but 7288 is specifically for rcd protected socket outlets, and I have assumed the others are basic rcds which can protect a whole circuit or more than one circuit. If that assumption is correct, there is a clear difference. You certainly couldn't fit your 7288 device in a consumer unit.
Yes, maybe it's almost semantic - a BS 7288 device can obviously only provide 'additional protection' to things plugged into them, not to any of the actual circuit.

Do you know what Standard is applicable to RCD FCUs, since they obviously could be providing 'additional protection' to fixed wiring in some situations?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
"hearsay" is apparently not to be relied on.

7288.png

Think greenbrook are bending the truth.
Official spec for RCD FCU was BS4293

531.3.6 exists regardless of the hearsay or contents of BS 7288. If you read the iet forum link above there is a suggestion that 'additional protection' in this sense (2nd part of 531.3.6) means for buried cables, also ppl saying it's badly written or ill informed

SRCDs are only intended to provide supplementary protection downstream of the SRCD. SRCDs are intended for use in circuits where the fault protection and additional protection are already assured upstream of the SRCD."
Which proves my point.

Full Description .... BS 7288:2016 applies to residual current-operated devices (RCD) ... SRCDs, according to this standard, are intended to be used in single phase systems such as phase to neutral.
I'm not totally clear as to where the quote came from, but what on earth is meant by "....such as phase to neutral"?
The quote then said:
SRCDs are only intended to provide supplementary protection downstream of the SRCD. SRCDs are intended for use in circuits where the fault protection and additional protection are already assured upstream of the SRCD."
That is clearly obvious - NO residual current device can provide any upstream protection. Perhaps it was someone misunderstanding a statement like this that resulted in things getting twisted to create the hearsay which Risteard's heard?

Kind Regards, John

531.3.6 exists regardless of the hearsay or contents of BS 7288. If you read the iet forum link above there is a suggestion that 'additional protection' in this sense (2nd part of 531.3.6) means for buried cables, also ppl saying it's badly written or ill informed
Perhaps. However, nothing in BS7671 indicates, or even suggests or implies, such a restricted meaning of 'additional protection' - so if that's what they meant/intended, they should have given away a clairvoyant with each copy of BS7671!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back