Is this fusebox illegal

So does this mean i cant run an rcd spur from another socket

Sponsored Links
I have this unit in my garage that has an rcd ...its used to power outdoor sockets....can this be used to run the bath....its connected to the same source as the house one

Attachments

• 20191202_185521.jpg
    20191202_185521.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 279
I realise this has opened a can of worms....and i think it should be a case that all sellers must have up to date wiring and fuseboxes

Sponsored Links
My point is that BS 7288:2016 explicitly states that such devices do not provide additional protection,...
'Additional' to what? If they do anything at all, that surely means that one would provide protection which is 'additional' to what would exist if one didn't had it. Since you appear to have a copy, could you please tell us exactly was BS 7288:2016 says about 'additional protection'?
.... so BS7671 had no choice but to remove them.
As I wrote last night, I don't understand this 'remove' claim of yours. As I said, there is no reference to BS 7288:2016 in BS7671:2008 or either Amd2 or Amd3 thereof - and any early edition of BS7671 would obviously have been far too early to contain a reference to a 2016 Standard.

... so when do you think it was 'removed' from BS7671, given that I can find no evidence that it was ever there!

Kind Regards, John

I do not see how it can do that.
Quite. As I've just written, I can't see how one can 'remove' something if it were never there! I've also just commented on the fact that it's very hard to see how any functioning RCD could not provide protection 'additional to' what would be there without it.
... Does an RCD FCU not meet the requirements of 415.1.1?
As I wrote last night, 531.3.6 appears to be an explicit list of devices which meet the requirements of 415.1 - and that list does not include BS EN 7288 (about which I know nothing) - so make of that what you can/like!
BS 7671 said:
531.3.6 RCDs for additional protection
The use of RCDs with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30 mA is recognized as additional protection
in compliance with Regulation 415.1. These RCDs shall be provided to comply with the requirements of Regulation

RCDs for additional protection in AC installations shall comply with:
- BS EN 61008 series, or
- BS EN 61009 series, or
- BS EN 62423

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
I think this wording of 'additional protection' is being treated like 'supplementary bonding' in that it is a specific separate thing in itself rather than merely meaning 'additional' or 'extra' bonding.

No matter what the regulations state the definition of the word 'additional' (like 'supplementary') is obvious and indisputable.

Since you appear to have a copy, could you please tell us exactly was BS 7288:2016 says about 'additional protection'?
I don't have a copy as I can't afford one.

However I have been made aware that it states that these devices are not suitable for providing additional protection, and are for use where there is already upstream RCD protection to provide the additional protection. Therefore these don't particularly serve any purpose at this time and JPEL/64 had no choice but to omit them from BS7671.

I don't have a copy as I can't afford one. However I have been made aware that it states that these devices are not suitable for providing additional protection ....
Pure hearsay, then - and difficult-to-understand/believe hearsay at that!
... and are for use where there is already upstream RCD protection to provide the additional protection.
As you go on to imply, if what you are saying were true, it would mean that FCUs to BS 7288 are not fit for any purpose, if they don't provide adequate residual current protection unless there is another RCD upstream - but I find it very hard to understand why there would be a Standard relating to things which were not fit for any purpose. I therefore suspect that something has gone a bit wrong with your 'hearsay'!

Kind Regards, John

I think this wording of 'additional protection' is being treated like 'supplementary bonding' in that it is a specific separate thing in itself rather than merely meaning 'additional' or 'extra' bonding.
Who knows - I can't read the minds of the authors of BS7671.

Anyway, what Risteard is now suggesting, on the basis of hearsay, seems even more ridiculous - since the implication seems to be that devices whichcomply with the BS he keeps citing are not really fit for any purpose! Are the BSI that mad?

Kind Regards, John

From what im reading and not being a qualified spark in any way......wiring the bath via an rcd spur from (for example) a plug socket will provide additional protection as in the spur will trip and kill power to the bath instantly ...whilst the wire in the fuse at the meter will also pop killing power to the said socket.......

Pure hearsay, then - and difficult-to-understand/believe hearsay at that!
As you go on to imply, if what you are saying were true, it would mean that FCUs to BS 7288 are not fit for any purpose, if they don't provide adequate residual current protection unless there is another RCD upstream - but I find it very hard to understand why there would be a Standard relating to things which were not fit for any purpose. I therefore suspect that something has gone a bit wrong with your 'hearsay'!

Kind Regards, John
It's factual "hearsay" whether you like it or not.

I don't disagree that these devices have no real useful purpose in these circumstances. In fact I suggested as much.

From what im reading and not being a qualified spark in any way......wiring the bath via an rcd spur from (for example) a plug socket will provide additional protection as in the spur will trip and kill power to the bath instantly ...whilst the wire in the fuse at the meter will also pop killing power to the said socket.......
Yes, but the things/situations that would cause an RCD to trip and a fuse to blow (or an MCB trip) are totally different.

The RCD will trip when there is a (often very small) leakage of current to earth - e.g. through a person experiencing an electric shock (or due to some 'leakage' fault in the equipment - e.g. due to water ingress). A fuse will blow (or MCB trip) when the current flowing in the circuit is excessive - such as when there is a 'short circuit' somewhere, or a major fault in the equipment).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back