Is this fusebox illegal

Sponsored Links
This is a better photo of the cu.....can this be upgraded without rewiring the whole house...we have never had a single light flicker or blow and every bulb in the house is led

Attachments

• 20191202_170542.jpg
    20191202_170542.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 327
As has been said above, the real problem is the cabling not the CU - it looks like VIR cable (google it) and will crumble and short out if you look at it the wrong way. I wouldn't want it in my house!

As has been said above, the real problem is the cabling not the CU - it looks like VIR cable (google it) and will crumble and short out if you look at it the wrong way. I wouldn't want it in my house!

The thing is ive changed every socket in the house and ran spurs with new cable and never once come accross a brittle wire....the original wire is black and red with material covering...most of the time ive needed to cut quite hard to get through the insulate

Sponsored Links
can this be upgraded without rewiring the whole house.
No.

Replacing a consumer unit requires that all of the circuit connected to it be inspected and tested, and any problems fixed before the new consumer unit is installed.
60+ year old cabling can't be fixed.

Guy came today ...very professional and certainly knows his stuff...its looking likely that it can be run from the separate fusebox in the garage so no need to tamper with the old one in the house other than to remove the old grey box that used to run the shower......maybe next year i will get him back to replace the house one and rewire where necessary.....i certainly feel happier getting a professional in instead of following the muppets that attemp these things themselves without qualifications..... thanks everyone

Think im going to get him to cone back next year and change the meter or if possible relocate it and rewire the whole place.....we are needing to redecorate anyway.....but can rewiring be done without damaging ceilings ?...we have upstairs...would rewiring mean lifting the floors .....we do have metal conduits

BS7288 is mentioned in OSG, so an error in the regs perhaps? or it's only suitable for fault protection, not additional protection, which seems rather unlikely

BS7288 is mentioned in OSG, so an error in the regs perhaps? or it's only suitable for fault protection, not additional protection, which seems rather unlikely
I don't really understand what that means. It either trips at 30mA residual current or it doesn't (and I imagine that the Standard requires that it does!) - and, if it does, it would be as good for 'additional protection' (as well as fault protection) as would be any other 30mA RCD, wouldn't it?

What am I missing?

Kind Regards, John

Not that I want to get involved - but the only thing I can think of is that this would only provide protection downstream of a potentially non-compliant part of a circuit, and the writers didn't want to get involved in the complications of explaining this.

Not that I want to get involved - but the only thing I can think of is that this would only provide protection downstream of a potentially non-compliant part of a circuit, and the writers didn't want to get involved in the complications of explaining this.
Who knows, but I can't see why that should apply to an RCD device to BS 7288 any more than to any other RCD, can you?

If I had access to a copy of the Standard, then maybe it might say something that makes sense of all this - although I currently struggle to think of what that 'something' could be!

Kind Regards, John

Well, I didn't look at the other standards, but 7288 is specifically for rcd protected socket outlets, and I have assumed the others are basic rcds which can protect a whole circuit or more than one circuit. If that assumption is correct, there is a clear difference. You certainly couldn't fit your 7288 device in a consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back