Is this loft convert-able?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's the loft above our link-detached garage. Hoping to convert it to a small playroom/storage room at the same time as a garage conversion with permanent access:

Sponsored Links
truss roof
you need a whole new roof as it cant be easily adapted

truss roof
you need a whole new roof as it cant be easily adapted

Oh, not good, I was hoping it would be something quick and easy to convert! I think a new roof will make it far more expensive than I wanted.

Fixed my YouTube link too, it didn't like the mobile version!

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to strengthen the floor so it can take more weight then just have a room with the trusses still is place and velux lights added? Or do regs require the trusses are removed? Not looking for something overly functional, just storage with easy access and maybe a train set/scaletrix or other large toys for the boy!

Forgot to add that all the crap in the loft was kindly sealed in there by the previous owner! Nice addition of a wasps nest and dead mouse too!

It's no big problem.
Years ago, builders would not have touched a truss roof, but now trussed-roof conversions are quite common.
You just need an extra steel beam at the ridge, and two further down the slope - though timber beams might suffice if it's a garage with relatively small spans. This is in addition trimmers needed for the floor.
Don't be put off by negative opinions, though it will cost more than converting a traditional roof.

It's no big problem.
Years ago, builders would not have touched a truss roof, but now trussed-roof conversions are quite common.
You just need an extra steel beam at the ridge, and two further down the slope - though timber beams might suffice if it's a garage with relatively small spans. This is in addition trimmers needed for the floor.
Don't be put off by negative opinions, though it will cost more than converting a traditional roof.
Rather, be put off by the insane celotex specification along with rafter thickening, the impossible staircase and head clearance, the ridiculous dormer and the fact that everything is a logistical nightmare.

Great fun loftys. NOT.

It's no big problem.
Rather, be put off by the insane celotex specification along with rafter thickening, the impossible staircase and head clearance, the ridiculous dormer and the fact that everything is a logistical nightmare.

Great fun loftys. NOT.

He wouldn't have to thicken the rafters. Because space and useable headroom will be limited, Approved Doc. L will allow him to use thinner insulation - say 50mm flush with the underside, vapour barrier, plasterboard.
Stairs don't have to comply with the dimensions in Part K when it's a single room loft conversion - alternating tread stairs will do.

(don't know about headroom but there are ways round that, eg drop landing; don't know about dormer?)

This is all very useful info. I'm getting quotes for the garage conversion this week with any luck so will get the builders to look at the loft too and see if they quote the regs and changes you guys have mentioned.

The smaller the stairs the better so as not to take too much room down below, I like the sound of alternating tread stairs.

Would rather avoid a dormer window if possible and just go velux, I know room will be very limited but it's just for a bonus bit of space rather than a really regularly used room.

All I'm saying is just because you have a triangular 'space' in a house, don't be fooled into thinking you are almost there regards gaining a room.

You most certainly are not.

There is nothing easy about converting a standard loft.

noseall";p="3043283 said:
All I'm saying is just because you have a triangular 'space' in a house, don't be fooled into thinking you are almost there regards gaining a room.

You most certainly are not.

There is nothing easy about converting a standard loft.[/quote

To be honest Noseall, wouldn't converting a garage roof be a bit easier- logistically - than the main roof?
It's not as high, no mess in the house to worry about, getting the steels in from the outside would be easier etc.
Just wondering.

That's a fair point noseall, by almost there I'm still thinking a couple of thousand pounds and some hard work on top of the garage conversion costs - start going over a couple of thousand then I may have to consider harder whether it's worth it or not for the size of the space we'll gain.

Edit: whoops, didn't see Tony's post, should have quoted!

To be honest Noseall, wouldn't converting a garage roof be a bit easier- logistically - than the main roof?
It's not as high, no mess in the house to worry about, getting the steels in from the outside would be easier etc.
Just wondering.
Yup. Certainly less difficult. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back