Is this lot compliant?

It does not make any difference when it was quoted, the time that the work was carried out and finished is the one that counts.

Sponsored Links
the time that the work was carried out and finished is the one that counts.
Strictly speaking it is when the circuits were designed that counts. When they were finished doesn't come into it. Just being pedantic. :)

Strictly speaking it is when the circuits were designed that counts. When they were finished doesn't come into it. Just being pedantic. :)

I will check this, because the last time I checked the reply was what I wrote in my post.
If what you saying is correct, it will be good for one of the jobs I am doing; a plumber who asked me to rewire (including a new CU) a property he bought and because he is very busy I do it in installments (about 8 months now), I wire a circuit, test it and than wait for the next. Because the work is not finished I cannot certify yet and/or notify.

The installation was designed according to 16th edition meaning that if you are right I can continue if I am right I will have to modify the circuits and add RCD/RCBO protection on light and other circuits that normally I would not put on RCD.

Thanks for all the comments..I suspect that due to the dates (ie the job may have been spec'd/quoted before the 17th came into force) there may be "getouts" regarding some of the infringements although it was hardly installed with the customers well being in mind.

It says "designed, constructed, inspected and tested in accordance with BS7671: 2008" on the certificate for the kitchen sockets which is 17th edition, is this the only certificate which has been provided for all of the work which has been carried out?

Sponsored Links
The installation was designed according to 16th edition meaning that if you are right I can continue if I am right I will have to modify the circuits and add RCD/RCBO protection on light and other circuits that normally I would not put on RCD.
There's no law stopping you from carrying on working to the 16th edition for as long as you like...

Just talked to NAPIT; They do not accept a delayed work. the notification and certification has to be done when the circuits were energized.

It is possible that this is a NAPIT only requirement but as a NAPIT member I have to comply.

it was hardly installed with the customers well being in mind.

.... or the well being of the registered sparky's name that is on the certificate. I doubt he knows anything about this job :LOL:

I wire a circuit, test it and than wait for the next. Because the work is not finished I cannot certify yet and/or notify.

Surely if a circuit has been put into service it should be certified, and if you later go an wire another circuit it would be certified seperately? :confused:

As soon as I mentioned reversed polarity on the tails the installer couldn't wait to get back round there :)

AFAIK this is the only certificate provided.

Provided the quote was prior to the 1st July the NIC are happy for the installation to be installed to the 16th after that date. When a similar change happened in gas (Part L condensing boilers) there was widespread abuse of the dates ruling and the regulations in reality took perhaps a year before they took effect (although I've still not seen a fully legal and compliant installation :rolleyes: ).

Either way I insisted on split boards and RCD protection to all circuits when I spec'ed work 10 years ago...it's an insignificant cost for the added protection.

But would the NIC be happy knowing it isn't installed to the 16th edition, the 17th edition or any other recent standard?
A new CU should have a full EIC
A new circuit should have a full EIC (In this case can be the same one as the new CU)
It should have been notified to the LABC under part P of the building regs.

Just talked to NAPIT; They do not accept a delayed work. the notification and certification has to be done when the circuits were energized.

It is possible that this is a NAPIT only requirement but as a NAPIT member I have to comply.

That's incorrect. As BS3036 has said the regs at design sign off apply. There are loads of projects running that were started on the 16th which will not be finished for years, including Secures home re-wire.

I can understand why NAPIT take that view with their domestic members but it would be un-workable commercially.

I can understand why NAPIT take that view with their domestic members but it would be un-workable commercially.

I am full scope member (registered for commercial, industrial and domestic), I do not even know whether NAPIT have a domestic installer scheme.

There's no law stopping you from carrying on working to the 16th edition for as long as you like...

In that case, I'll dust off my 14th Ed and get cracking on my house rewire.
If you're happy that working to the 14th constitutes making reasonable provision in the design and installation of the electrical installation in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering it from fire or injury....

What a stupid suggestion - of course there's a law against it.

The Building Regulations stipulate reasonable provision, and as time goes by it will become harder, gradually, to successfully argue that designing and installing to anything older that the current edition of BS7671 is not inherently less safe, and therefore not reasonable provision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back