Is this still allowed and what about moving house?

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this oldish thread and wanted to know if the answer still stands, that I can legally swap my hard wired smoke alarms in my own home? I asked Aico technical, and they said I need an electrician because the base plates are being swapped, sound like nonsense to me, but thought I’d check as regs change.

Also, does anyone know if I need an eicr for selling my house? House was a new build circa 2010, and then they upgraded some mcb’s, think it was part of a recall iirc.

Sponsored Links
Also, does anyone know if I need an eicr for selling my house?
There is never a requirement for an EICR, nor any other type of survey/inspection when selling a house. If a prospective buyer wants the 'reassurance' of such things, it for them to arrange and pay for them to be done.

Kind Regards, John

What he said ^^^ And you can change the smoke alarms yourself.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
AICO ones normally slide out and use the same base plate …so no rewiring required …

Sponsored Links
AICO ones normally slide out and use the same base plate …so no rewiring required …
Yeah I know that thanks, existing are BRK and the model is discontinued, so would be change of wiring on base plates.

They went to deta brand for a while , Screwfix used to stock them but I think they have pulled out of the uk market now…

• Thanks
Probablly, while there may have been slight regulatory divergence since brexit, I'm pretty sure our rules and regulations on most products are still far closer to the EU than they are to anywhere else.

If you were to get a different brand, could you not compare the wiring scheme with the baseplates you already have?
If the wiring does need to be changed it may just be a case of swapping a few wires around, as opposed to completely rewiring them behind the ceilings.

Is this link any help?

• Thanks
If you were to get a different brand, could you not compare the wiring scheme with the baseplates you already have?
If the wiring does need to be changed it may just be a case of swapping a few wires around, as opposed to completely rewiring them behind the ceilings.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t need rewiring in the ceiling, and there’s “play” in the cable. Yes I’ll get the wiring diagrams.

Last edited:
Wiring should be the same …..BUT all the devices will have to be replaced as the BPT interlink wire MAY not be compatible with the AICO device …

• Thanks
Wiring should be the same …..BUT all the devices will have to be replaced as the BPT interlink wire MAY not be compatible with the AICO device …
Theres only x2 alarms and both out of date, both BRK, so would replace both anyway, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back