Is this too much for a rewire? North East England

Sponsored Links
I have to agree with Flameport and others, that seems much too cheap, even allowing for the fact I'm used to London prices.

Sponsored Links
I had my last house rewired. It was a 3 bed semi.

My new house is a 1 bed cottage. It's 25% smaller than my last one in square meters.

The quote to rewire this time is 53% more money than in my last. There are about 3 years difference from having the last one done to receiving this quote.

My last house cost £1500. All basic plastic finishes.
My new house is being quoted £2300, all basic fittings. Both houses are in North East England.

Have things really gone up that much?

Here is all that's needed. What would a quote typically cost for this in North East England?

Living room: 4 double sockets, 1 light
Kitchen: 4 double sockets, 3 appliance points, 1 light
Hall/landing: 1 double socket, 2 lights, smoke alarms
Bedroom: 3 double sockets, 1 light
Bathroom: 1 light
External: 3 lights front, 1 light rear
Replace consumer unit, upgrade earth bonding
As far as I can tell, you don't mention if it's the same person quoting for the current rewire who did the rewire at your old property three years ago.

You appear to be getting a lot for your money.

Anyone doing all that for such a low price is either
1) A very very nice man.
2) Someone who needs the work badly.
3) A bodger.
4) Someone who doesn't understand prices.

I hope it's not number 3.

Electricians work for free in the north east???
I got 3 quotes to rewire my house, all plaster had been stripped and plasterboard from ceilings removed, so no access problem.
Total of 15 double sockets and 12 switches.
2 fan isolator plates as wiring was new on them.
All in wickes slimline.
I contacted my electrician friend and he told me he was too busy, so if he had to do it it would be a job spread over some Sunday mornings for a few weeks.
I offered to pay his normal rate and he said £7k.
He suggested to do what we normally do when I fit kitchens: I pass all the wires, fit back boxes and switches and sockets and he then comes, checks everything and connects to CU.
Total material £450.
Getting older I didn't fancy doing it all by myself, so I contacted 3 other electricians.
Was quoted £6.5k, £7k and £7k.
So your quotes are waaaay too cheap.
I'm in west London btw, but it can't be that much different.
Probably 30% more here, but not 400%.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back