Is what i need a socket spacer?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to go for some USB wall sockets which have USB-C and hence the actual depth of the socket itself is alot deeper than than usual and hence will not actually fit into the backbox.

20230814_145355.jpg

20230814_145339.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what it is that I need but I think it could be something like this that I found online which is a "socket spacer"

Screenshot_20230814_145732_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Think I found them alot cheaper at screwfix but just wanted to check to see if I'm buying the right thing in order to get these sockets to fit.
Screenshot_20230814_145845_Chrome.jpg

Any advice is appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's the correct item.
They are available with round or square corners to match the socket on the front.
Either will fit, but the matching corner profile will look better.

The other option is to replace the metal backbox with a 35mm depth, but that will involve damage to the wall and some repair and repainting.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
And don't forget to purchase earth sleeving.

I would also recommending running an earth from the face plate to the back box. If one of the earths, were somehow, able to pop and hit the back box, the face plate screws would become live.

Reactions: CBW

I would also recommending running an earth from the face plate to the back box. If one of the earths, were somehow, able to pop and hit the back box, the face plate screws would become live.
How are the faceplate screws going to become live from an earth hitting the backbox?
Even if you meant a live or neutral hitting the backbox, the faceplate screws are connected to the earth terminal on the socket by those nice brass rings in the screw holes.
But do agree with the recommendation about linking face plate cpc to backbox :)

Sponsored Links

Ahhhhhh ok so considering I have 2 earth's, do I run one to the faceplate and one to the backbox? And then run 1 seperate piece to link together. Or is it just a case of both earth's into the earth on the faceplate and then link the earth from the backbox to the spare earth on the faceplate. Thank you very much for advising this

Ahhhhhh ok so considering I have 2 earth's, do I run one to the faceplate and one to the backbox? And then run 1 seperate piece to link together. Or is it just a case of both earth's into the earth on the faceplate and then link the earth from the backbox to the spare earth on the faceplate. Thank you very much for advising this
Both incoming earths into the faceplate and then link to the backbox

As long as both earths go to the faceplate earth terminal, it is not essential to run a short earth wire to the back box, though makes a better job.

Crabtree double USB sockets can be fitted on 25mm deep boxes like you have without the need of a spacer.

How are the faceplate screws going to become live from an earth hitting the backbox?
Even if you meant a live or neutral hitting the backbox, the faceplate screws are connected to the earth terminal on the socket by those nice brass rings in the screw holes.
But do agree with the recommendation about linking face plate cpc to backbox :)

Point taken. I didn't notice the brass rings on the back of the face plate. How effective are they? They aren't threaded. So is pot luck that they will make contact with the screw?

Or is the brass raised to the front of the box, such that simply screwing the screw in will ensure connectivity.

Point taken. I didn't notice the brass rings on the back of the face plate. How effective are they? They aren't threaded. So is pot luck that they will make contact with the screw?

Or is the brass raised to the front of the box, such that simply screwing the screw in will ensure connectivity.
They are ferrules rather than rings, good odds there would be a connection if the screw is loose, almost guaranteed if the screw is tight. But a link from plate to backbox is definitely preferable.

the brass rings cant be threaded as that would stop the faceplate from being pulled tight against the wall. when the screws are tightened to hold the face plate to the wall the screws will make a sufficent contact but as others have said link to the back box as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back