Island unit quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been working in a domestic kitchen, and the customer wants a twin socket installing onto the side of her island unit to allow her to use a blender etc without having to trail a lead across the kitchen.

I know that you are not supposed to fix sockets etc to kitchen cabinets, but what would you do in the same situation?

The island is well fixed to the floor, and is a substantial unit with a granite top and sink fitted to it, so would you class this as part of the building fabric?

<edit> spelling corrected

Sponsored Links
I think so, yes. I'm beginning to come round to the fact that if whatever you're attaching an accessory to is well screwed down, it is part of the fabric, rather than something that can much more easily be removed like a shelf, or whatever.

Yeh, it's part of the kitchen's fixed furniture, so to me it becomes part of the fabric of the building.

So what is the story with wooden framed, fully studded houses and electrics?
:confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm not all that acomplished at drilling big holes in very expensive granite worktops. ;)

If there is space under the unit and she hasn't got that ****e laminated floor nonsense, what about installing a floor box?

We have a movable island in our kitchen and i've put one in for that, works a treat

grey area with the regs whether a fitted kitchen is part of the fabic,but yes i would say it is and do it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back