isolating switches for new kitchen sockets

Sponsored Links
Read the regs re accessories permitted for use on a RF
That does not exclude anything from being connected to a ring.

A terminal of a switch or other item with two wires in it will not carry any current, as most of the current will be directly between the two wires which are in direct contact, rather than via the terminal itself.

However rings with 20A grid switches supplying sockets is still a poor design, and totally unnecessary.

I can't see what difference a 20a grid switch to unswitched socket, and a fused connector unit to flex outlet has? Sorry not trying to question people on here but just trying to understand it

There isn't a difference.

Some people who don't understand what the regulations say about ring finals get agitated about the fact that there's a 20A switch on a 32A circuit.

They also ignore the fact that as it's switching a socket it will never carry as much as 20A, let alone 32.
They also ignore the fact that the regulations require that the circuit be designed so that it doesn't have 32A flowing in any part of it.
They also ignore the fact that sockets are not required by BS 1363 to necessarily be able to cope with more than 20A flowing in the cable they are attached to.

Sponsored Links
At least some of the people who "get agitated" about a 20A switch on a 32A circuit also get agitated because one cannot get a 20A switch "to BS1363". In other words, they would, I imagine, be equally agitated about a 40A switch on a 32A ring final circuit.

It's hard to predict exactly what invented causes of agitation will be invented by people who don't understand what the regulations say about ring finals.

Just looking at back boxes for a grid switch, will a standard 47mm metal back box suffice or does it have to be a grid back box?

At least with the MK stuff. 1/2 module grid plates fit standard single boxes. 3/4 module grid plates fit standard double boxes. Larger grid plates need special boxes.

Just out of interest would the double switch socket actually spur from the switch? In other words will I need to purchase a 3 grid or 4 grid? I had visions that it would connect to a switch like the unswitched sockets meaning I need to purchase a 4 grid

Sb

Hi all. What is the reason for having a single wire of "lead looking material"? Buried into the wall near a metal back box?

Hi all. What is the reason for having a single wire of "lead looking material"? Buried into the wall near a metal back box?
Probably 'historical'. Do I take it that this wire is not connected to anything in the vicinity? How od is the house?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back