isolator between cu and meter

Knighty said:
Thanks for all the advice, that looks just like what i was trying to describe. I may have to work live as the local leccy company will charge me to pull their fuse, but i would rather feed and terminate a live cable into an isolator than a fiddly consumer unit or am i being stupid.I know there is a risk but it will mean i can work on my new CU in the future in (safe mode) with the isolator in place.

Are you MAD???? Check your will is sorted out, first.

Sponsored Links
pulled my service fuse to change cu (had no rcd on old one), then had rec out to extend service incomer cables (tt system) around new extension, they said not a problem the seals being removed & while they were did I want them to fit a isolation switch as they are free of charge, this is in the Berkshire area.

As said dont do it live could be the last thing you ever do.

WOW!! what a response.Listen thanks for all the advice,its nice to know someone cares. working live is sometimes done as a last resort.In this case it isnt,, i am just gonna pull the fuse as it looks in good condition and loose not welded to the caseso a gentle, carefull tug should do it.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Knighty said:
WOW!! what a response.Listen thanks for all the advice,its nice to know someone cares. working live is sometimes done as a last resort.In this case it isnt,, i am just gonna pull the fuse as it looks in good condition and loose not welded to the caseso a gentle, carefull tug should do it.

Thanks again.
just make sure everything is switch OFF before you pull/insert the fuse

.....oh, and keep the fuse in your pocket while you work. This avoids 1) losing it, and 2) the highly embarrasing effect caused when a helpful assistant re-inserts the fuse before you are ready.

You might also like to check that the fuse rating agrees with that on the holder label (mine didnt!)

lord nicon21 said:
hi where is this fuse can some one give me some pics and is it the main one ?

its a box before the meter. it should have a seal in thru it so you cant open it w/o breaking it

so if the seal is broken will they pick up on this and make you pay for a new one ??

lord nicon21 said:
so if the seal is broken will they pick up on this and make you pay for a new one ??
They could arrest you and charge you with theft, if they want to, who knows why you broke the seals, to bypass the meter maybe ?

As an addendum, changed supplier 18mths ago, many phone calls complaints over no bill etc.. Had a bill for £720+ land on me mat today with threats of court action !! Bar stewards ;)

oh thats well not very good so is there any othere way of doing the job other than doing it live?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back