isolator in bathroom

J

jeepster

hi all, had extension buildt lastyear / begining of this year.I am doing the finishing off, ie tiling, decorating, new skirting etc. 8-10hours at weekends.

In the new bathroom we have had an extractor fitted, its approx 450mm horizontally and 2.3m vertically from the end of the bath. this is one of the 12volt ones. inside zone 2.

Anyhow, just inside 600mm from the end of the bath, at the same height they fitted an isolator switch for the fan.
all of the electrics are protected by an rcd, should i get the electrcian to come back and move the isolator or is it ok where it is a present. alternatively could they fit a pull cord as an isolator.

the fan is a vent axia 12volt model with humidity control so i guess they could have fitted it to the pull switch for the light.

any comments from qualified electricians would be appreciated. cheers

Sponsored Links
In zone 2:
switchgear. accessories incorporating switches or socket-outlets shall not be installed with the exception of:
(i) switches and socket-outlets of SELV circuits, the safety source being installed outside zones 0. 1 and 2. and
(ii) shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5.
Except for SELV socket-outlets complying with Section 414 and shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5,
socket-outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.

So answer is simple low voltage (230v) switch is not allowed in zone 2.

PS Zone 2 is limited by:
(i) the finished floor level and the horizontal plane corresponding to the highest fixed shower head or water outlet or the horizontal plane lying 2.25 m above the finished floor level, whichever is higher.

Are you sure it is zone 2?

Have the switch moved outside zones if it is actually within, ceiling mounting of fan isolator is not unusual (if permitted by zoning dimensions) or move switch out of bathroom to landing.

You cannot have a pull isolator on most fans because the isolator used is a 3 pole one to switch the permanent and switched live and the neutral.

hi thanks for the info, the bottom of the switch is just inside 225, so will ask him to come back and move it.

to be fair we are changing the layout of the bathroom so its not the electricians fault. will ask hi to put it above the basin at 225 or higher, i believe that is ok.

Sponsored Links
hi, could he replace the isolator switch with a blanking plate ? without a switch.

all of the extension electrics go through a rcd which i guess anyone working on one of the circuits would switch off anyway.

hi, could he replace the isolator switch with a blanking plate ? without a switch.

all of the extension electrics go through a rcd which i guess anyone working on one of the circuits would switch off anyway.

nope, needs local isolation ;)

i thought you only needed a iso switch for a bathroom fan if there is no window?

ie you need the lights on to see.

building regs require a fan if there is no window.
there is no reg to say you have to have a light in any room.

the question was, do you need a isolator switch for a bathroom fan, if the room has a window.

on the basis most iso switches would be outside the bathroom, it would be a bit daft ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back