It's For Data Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not arsey about my age, I just don't like companies who ask for my DOB (or indeed any information about me) when it is not relevant.

Today I rang for a pet insurance quote. The lady asked my DOB. I asked what relevance it had to a pet policy.

"It's for data protection", she replied. "If you ring up, we can check it's you by asking your DOB."

Now, me and you both know that actually, while it could be used for identification, the real reason they want it is demographics.

"Are there any other questions you could ask instead?"

"No, but you can go online and ask for a quote that way."

I think I have posted before that companies have sneakily asked me for my DOB "for identification" when they know full well that they have no record of it:

"What's your DOB?"
"You don't have my DOB on your system, so how is this going to identify me?"
"We do!"
"OK, you give me the day I was born and I'll give you the rest."
"Erm....................."

Companies and organisations want to garner as much detail about you as possible, which they can then sell on.
Is there anybody else that does not take kindly to this behaviour?

Sponsored Links

Yes me.

When I am forced to put my date of birth I often get absent minded and make a mistake. ( except on official paper work ).

One company accepted Jan 28th 2020 as my date of birth.....

Yes!!

I used 01/01/(19)00 in an online membership and it sent me an email congratulating me on reaching the grand old age of 117.....

Sponsored Links
Used to get annoyed by stuff like this but just started lying to save myself the annoyance. Make it up, simple. If a company is training it's workers to lie right to you (as they mostly all do) to get your details to sell on, you don't need to respect them at all. You've no obligation to even have a name lol. ''My names Susan'' in a low voice.

Companies and organisations want to garner as much detail about you as possible, which they can then sell on

The conundrum being that if they haven't got it on record, then they can't sell it on. But most likley, being asked what the day you were born on, isn't in the script that they work from.
Unfortunately, the data protection act is completely misunderstood by most companies, and quoted ad infinitum as an excuse to cover that they don't know what they are doing.

Yup, I get very irritated to put it mildly. Have been known to swear at the operator, and then slam the phone down on them in frustration at their obstinant stupidity.

As to using other names, I got so fed up with Talktalks tech support wanting permission from my partner before they'd speak with me, I finally used her name, and when they queried it, said it was the smoking that had given me a deep voice.

Oh, and will you two get a room please.

Who two?

Oh, you mean me and Susan?

We're BFF's, nothing more!

Indeed. Some of us enjoy wearing laydeees clothing. They don't call me Bendy Wendy for nothing, you know. So get off your high horse and get over it.

Wait, Susan...what do you mean it's just me??

I thought you were my bestie??

My mum walked into the bedroom to find one of her boyfriends had put on her clothes, so I'm definitely not on my high horse. But I do notice that there always seems to be a couple in the Wright show audience; just not sure if they are cross dressers, or transgender.

Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve.

I have no problem with people wearing whatever they like. I did dress up in clothing of a feminine nature for a Rocky Horror Show in the eighties....that was interesting!

No, trust me, no nerve touched; I just laughed. I remember the late Bruce Forsyth wearing a kilt on the Generation game, and flounced around the stage for a few seconds with a grin on his face, saying how liberating it felt.

Just been onto Boots today. Wanted to order a couple of things but could not find them on the website.
Can I have your DOB......?
What for?
Data protection.......
No, thanks.
Going to complain to them now.

Sponsored Links
Back