I've messed up - electric shock after plastering wall

Sponsored Links
Thanks Terry, is it safe to turn the breakers back on to get the other lights on to take a picture whilst the wires are exposed?

Thanks Terry, is it safe to turn the breakers back on to get the other lights on to take a picture whilst the wires are exposed?

As a temporary, put connectors on the exposed wire ends, to insulate them - then turn your power back on. Put the switch somewhere warm, on top of a radiator. It will be dry in an hour and fit to reconnect.

Sponsored Links
I thought that having a lot of individual switches was RCD.

IMG_20201212_182445.jpg

A = Main switch, disconnects everything. Doesn't trip on it's own, it's just a switch
B = Circuit breakers which trip when there is an overload or short circuit. Mainly there to protect the cables from damage. Will not trip if someone touches a live wire.
C = RCD. Trips when an imbalance of current is detected, such as someone touching a live wire. Does not provide any protection against overload or short circuits. Supplies the circuit breakers D
D = Circuit breakers which are connected to the RCD (C). These provide overload and short circuit protection for the cables, and the RCD that supplies them protects people from electric shock.

An older design of consumer unit which probably complied when it was installed, but doesn't now.

View attachment 214454

A = Main switch, disconnects everything. Doesn't trip on it's own, it's just a switch
B = Circuit breakers which trip when there is an overload or short circuit. Mainly there to protect the cables from damage. Will not trip if someone touches a live wire.
C = RCD. Trips when an imbalance of current is detected, such as someone touching a live wire. Does not provide any protection against overload or short circuits. Supplies the circuit breakers D
D = Circuit breakers which are connected to the RCD (C). These provide overload and short circuit protection for the cables, and the RCD that supplies them protects people from electric shock.

An older design of consumer unit which probably complied when it was installed, but doesn't now.
It appears that the centre breaker in the area marked "B" isn't an MCB but an RCBO .

Hi Guys,

I've managed to wrap each wire with some insulation tape I had in the garage and I've taped a plastic box over the top so no one can touch it. A trip to toolstation in the morning for a new switch.

A huge thank you to everyone for your help!

Cheers Larry

The switch only needed drying out on the radiator.

Blowing it with a hair dryer for 5 minutes would probably do the same.

When you do refit or fit a new switch, cut the exposed copper down to about 8mm max, what you have is way too long and it exposes live copper.
Try and out some sleeving on the earth wires. Green/yellow is preferred but anything is better than nothing.

The switch only needed drying out on the radiator.

Blowing it with a hair dryer for 5 minutes would probably do the same.

When you do refit or fit a new switch, cut the exposed copper down to about 8mm max, what you have is way too long and it exposes live copper.
Try and out some sleeving on the earth wires. Green/yellow is preferred but anything is better than nothing.

Green or, preferably, green/yellow. May be a sleeve or even pvc tape but should not be any other colour or you may cause confusion at some later date.

All sorted chaps, I had to buy 10 metres when I only needed a few centimetres haha. Thank you to all of you for your very kind help, I'll be trimming the rest of the exposed copper down tomorrow, the younger family memebers are only entertained by shadow puppets for so long ;)

Cheers

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_125058.jpg
    IMG_20201213_125058.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20201213_130128.jpg
    IMG_20201213_130128.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 274

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back