Jack Monroe to sue MP Lee Anderson

my post wasn't specifically related to whether she's making a libel case against Lee Anderson

What a pity that you made your ill-expressed allegations on a thread specifically related to a possible libel case against Lee Anderson

Sponsored Links
I don't believe you have any evidence of the book-buying habits of the poor.

She makes a living writing a blog about making low cost meals, promoting it on the basis that she learnt to do it out of necessity, sells the books of the recipes she writes and has multiple ways of people who read her blog making donations to her on her blog website. She openly says that's how she makes her money. I think my assumptions are perfectly reasonable.

What a pity that you made your ill-expressed allegations on a thread specifically related to a possible libel case against Lee Anderson
Ah, so you're doing your usual thing of focusing on a single issue in an attempt to shut down reasonable discussion.

You allege that her books are purchased by the poorest members of society

There is no evidence to support your claim.

Sponsored Links
You mean he didn't accuse her of making a fortune from the poor?
I don't believe you have any evidence of the book-buying habits of the poor.

Define poor. Define a fortune. She obviously doesn't give all her books away for free

If I was a person struggling to survive on 30p meals, I doubt I would be buying cookbooks.

I do, however, know how to access blogs for free at the local library or community centre.

And also to pick up books for nothing, or next to nothing, at charity shops.

Have you never been in financial difficulties?

If I was a person struggling to survive on 30p meals, I doubt I would be buying cookbooks.

I do, however, know how to access blogs for free at the local library or community centre.

So you've accused Lower of not providing evidence, and now you counter with a reotorical point :LOL:

Why don't you provide evidence that no person based on an unqualified definition of "poor" has never bought one of her books?

I don't need to.

This is a thread about a potential libel case resulting from defamatory remarks made by some plonker MP.

"She’s taking money off some of the most vulnerable people in society and making an absolute fortune on [sic] the back of people.”

You allege that her books are purchased by the poorest members of society

There is no evidence to support your claim.
Seriously?

Amazon reader reviews on one of her books- Cooking on a boostrap:

'Ideal recipes for those on a tight budget'

'Living on a tight budget, whether imposed by being truly on the bones of your arse or imposed by self choice, is often no fun AT ALL.
This book, however, is different. It seems lighter, revels in saving money and takes a light-hearted approach at being 'cheap'.. that cheapness being grounded firmly in necessity over choice.'

'I bought the Kindle version and I think it's worth it for the "sardines in a herby sauce" recipe alone. There is indeed a cheerfulness in Jack's writing, and I think this is a significant factor in me deciding "Well I can jolly well have a go!" I always hesitate to move towards cooking everything from scratch, because I fear the initial outlay involved in setting up my store cupboard. That said, I simply can't afford to continue my undisciplined approach to eating, for financial reasons but also because I cannot possibly return to boring microwave meals.'

'bought this for a friend who is on low income and struggling to feed themselves nutritious foods to give them inspiration as I had previously purchased it for myself and they loved looking through mine and wanted to borrow it.'

When i was a student and and struggling to feed myself for less than £10 a week (albeit back in the late 90's), my mother bought me a student cookbook.

I didn't pay for it myself, but someone else did because the need existed. Same with Jack Monroe's books. If they're in the charity shops, someone bought it in the first place and therefore provided Jack Monroe with an income.

I have no issue with her writing these books at all, quite the opposite. But she is making her living out of the misfortune of the poorest.

Ironically, both Monroe and Anderson are actually trying to do the same thing, ie giving people the tools and knowledge to feed themselves on very little money.

When I was poor wealthy people used to buy me books. I expect the same thing happens today. I'm also guessing the poorest out there can now access stuff for free.

Good on Jack.(y)

Having read what Lee Anderson has read and listened to his speech in parliament, I don't think he's mean spirited. Quite the opposite, he's trying to find a way to help people to help themselves.
So no doubt he'd volunteer to swap places with a family 'just getting by' and invite the cameras in so he could show people how to make 30p meals day in day out?

Thought not!

Of course as has been mentioned the tories enjoy singing to their 'hate the poor' hymn sheet...

Another one today...

"Rachel Maclean, safeguarding minister in the Home Office, said families could “protect” themselves from the cost of living crisis by taking on more work, or simply moving to a “better paid job”

'Out of touch' by choice!

So no doubt he'd volunteer to swap places with a family 'just getting by' and invite the cameras in so he could show people how to make 30p meals day in day out? Thought not!

No doubt you'd volunteer to swap places with those who have emigrated when they said they would, those that have said they were leaving the forum and did so and those that have taken in a Ukranian family when they said they would and can show you how to do it?

Thought not!

Last edited:
But she is making her living out of the misfortune of the poorest.
I wonder how much the average person buying her book(s) have saved vis-a-vis the cost?

And if the need is there, then she is helping out instead of being out of touch...

Plus the amount she has put back into the fight against poverty and hunger is substantial...

Can you say the same about Lee Anderson?

No doubt you'd volunteer to swap places with those who have emigrated when they said they would, those that have said they were leaving the forum and did so and those that have taken in a Ukranian family when they said they would and can show you how to do it?

Though not!
Oh look, the pathetic troll is trying to get yet another topic closed...

Probably because it doesn't care about anything but itself!

Sponsored Links
Back