Jury Service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WTF!!!! I 've had a summons for jury service. I thought I was ineligible. I get to take two weeks out of my life for the princely sum of £ 58.38 per day, assuming I'm there for more than four hours. I earned more than that in two hours today. Looks like I'm going to have to go out and kill someone again.

Sponsored Links
solo said:
WTF!!!! I 've had a summons for jury service. I thought I was ineligible. I get to take two weeks out of my life for the princely sum of £ 58.38 per day, assuming I'm there for more than four hours. I earned more than that in two hours today. Looks like I'm going to have to go out and kill someone again.

LOOK on the bright side solo you can also take your other 11 cells with you and claim a nice little earner here, who is the unlucky dood whats he done, quilty in my opinion.

Tke plenty jam butties with you solo and take a flask of hot soup with you matey has you might get 12 month hard labour if your lucky.

Do me a favour solo get the juges misus mobile number not had a toff for a long time now. and i will send her down

solo said:
Looks like I'm going to have to go out and kill someone again.

Then you won't get paid at all for your court appearances.. ;)

Worst thing is you can end up sat there for two weeks without making it into a jury...

Sponsored Links
I did jury service last year and didn't get to sit on a single case. I was in the selected 15 for about 7 cases, heard the charges, and never made to final 12. Take some decent books with you.

solo said:

Stop whinging and get on with doing one or two small things for the society you live in. If you don't like it, buy yourself a decent rope and find a suitable tree.

I was on a Blue Movie trial in Portsmouth a few years ago.

Unutterably tedious.

Oilman.....the second word rhymes with cough.

no albanians still have to do it. Someones got to do it

What are the chances of being selected for jury service? Are there any aspects of one's life that might make one more likely to be chosen? For example, personal license holders?

I've been selected three times in different parts of the country. I suppose it's less than one in ten years. As it's random some people might never get called, and others called lots of times. If you've been on a very long case once you can explain and ask to be excused further duty.

It's just part of life's rich tapestry. As a citizen, it is your duty and does no harm to see how the "justice" system works. If you try to avoid it or talk your way out of it once, they will take care to catch you another time. If you tell the clerk you are self-employed and losing money, they will usually try to assign you to a short case. If you tell them you don't mind being assigned to a long case, you may or may not get one. there is a lot of sitting around so if you are in business on your own you can take in a box of your paperwork to do in the canteen. But if you are absent or don't keep alert and pay attention during your trials you can be very heavily fined or even locked up.

You get selected just by being on the electoral roll and catching the eye of the clerk in the court.

They might pick every 5th person on each 9th page, or any other "randomised" method.

I knew someone who once had this job and amused herself one Friday afternoon by picking out people with funny names.

Her game became obvious when they were read out for selection.

Sponsored Links
Back