Just uncovered this after removing tiles in kitchen...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many yeas ago a "builder" did some work in our kitchen which involved moving some sockets and tiling the wall.. we have just taken the tiles down and discovered what you see in the pictures.

One one image, I would assume that he removed a socket that was connected to the ring main, and used a connector strip to simply join them together to provide continuity of the ring, then bound tape around. Obviously the other side of the connector strip is empty.

The other image, looks like he has done this again, but then run a spur off the connector strip...

I somehow dont think this is what should have been done, and is probably not safe.. what is the easiest way to remedy this problem?

View media item 48615
View media item 48616
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where abouts are those joints in the kitchen??

If one is just a one socket spurred off joint and the ring connected on the other you could knock two boxes in and joint them both in each box then blank plate them. That is the very easy option though and may not be desirable to you. Just giving you an idea.

They were actually hidden behind the tiles on the wall, hiding behind cardboard covers..lol...

From doing a bit of searching, it does seem to be an acceptable way to do it, but maybe should not be hidden, but accessible. I dont know if my OCD could live with it, as they would mess up the symmetry either side of the hob/cooker along the back wall!

They were actually hidden behind the tiles on the wall, hiding behind cardboard covers..lol...

From doing a bit of searching, it does seem to be an acceptable way to do it, but maybe should not be hidden, but accessible. I dont know if my OCD could live with it, as they would mess up the symmetry either side of the hob/cooker along the back wall!

Its acceptable if you go with what i said as they would be accessible.
My ocd probably wouldnt be able to deal with it either!!
There are other ways by tracing the cables etc to see where they go and rerouting. Many many options you will need an electrician im afraid to say.

Sponsored Links
Remove cables and re route them within safe zones to the points they feeding. You have the tiles off so not a big job.

The cables look to be in oval conduit, so they should pull back to under the floor where the redundant parts can be replaced / removed / jointed out properly.

Remove cables and re route them within safe zones to the points they feeding. You have the tiles off so not a big job.

If you mean replace the cables that come off the ring main, so they are longer, I dont think this is possible, they are burried behind the walls in conduit and I think go into a concrete floor! Ill be pulling out worktops and kitchen units over next few days, so can have a better look...

Thanks all...

As long as I know its not a complete bodge job, just perhaps not the best way it couldve been done... Ive since learnt about getting cheapo builders in to do stuff...!

Thanks all...

As long as I know its not a complete bodge job, just perhaps not the best way it couldve been done... Ive since learnt about getting cheapo builders in to do stuff...!

It is a complete bodge job and requires rectification!!!

If you go with starspark's idea then I would consider fitting sockets rather than blanking plates. At least they will be of use and won't look as odd.

That second picture looks like a heavy duty cooker switch. Is that right?

I do now!

Id just done a search on google after posting and found this.. which, whilst not the "right" way of doing it... was a suggested way...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=748450

Ok, I know its not a sparky or diy forum.. it just seemed to answer the question I was asking early.. but I feel better informed now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back