keeping old wiring in place against code?

Had a look at the living room sockets, the 1983 installed 2 sockets, one with the cables for the IN and OUT for the ring and cables going to the other socket as a spur, later on a spur from the spur socket was added, and another spur socket from the second spur socket, is this good practice?

Only one unfused spur should be terminated to any one point along a ring final. The situation you have now is that the cable supplying the first spur can carry more current that it's designed to do if the subsequent equipment connected to the other spurs demand it.

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression the main reason for rewiring was the proposal to upgrade the old fusebox to a consumer unit?

Replacing a consumer unit does not mean the whole place has to be rewired. Provided the wiring is in good condition, just the CU can be changed.
This would typically only take a day (possibly 2 if other repairs are needed), and would cost far less - hundreds of pounds, not thousands.

The situation with the multiple spurs is fairly common, particularly where DIY types have added sockets, but is not compliant. However in most cases it can easily be resolved by changing the 30A ring into 2 separate 20A radials.

Where I work, in Housing asso. they are in progress of rewiring 1960s built houses and bungalows. Most of electric system is it over 30 years old. Here is a list of what they will get.....

2 ring mains for up/down floors...4 d sockets to lounge/dining. 3 d socket to large bed. 2 d socket to small bed. 1 d socket each for up and down floors.
1 ring mains for kitchen..4 d sockets above worktop. fuse spur on ring to s socket for w/m, aux to cooker, fridge/freezer, dishwasher if tenant got one.
cooker inc socket
lighting... up/down floors
outside front/back lights...tenant choose which light.
D socket in shed (attached to house)
fans for kitchen/bathroom ( selv fan to bathroom, con. control to kitchen )
shaver light
shower if tenant got it.
Door bell inc transformer.
Consumer is spiltload with rcd on left and rcbo on right. All rcbo for flats.

All inc chasing out / buried / plastering repair.
All old and existing wiring is removed inc old rubber one.
If tenant refusing chasing, we put in trunking.

Hope this help.

Dan

Sponsored Links
My parents don't have much option of having the rewiring done or not as the funding for some other major technically unrelated work (which really has to be carried out) is tied to agreeing to the electrical works. I'm just waiting for a written response from them for the reasons behind this position before a decision is made (including the extra cost they have to bare to have the same number of points as present).
It all boils down to the survey carried out which is the argument they put forward and I just get the feeling that total rewiring isn't needed and would be a waste of public funding.
If another survey was carried out can we request a more thorough survey to determine which parts of the existing wiring can be kept, how much would it cost (London), we had to pay £140 for the one carried out already.

My parents don't have much option of having the rewiring done or not as the funding for some other major technically unrelated work (which really has to be carried out) is tied to agreeing to the electrical works.
If it's unrelated technical work then why is it part of agreeing to have the place rewired? :confused:

What is the technical work? If it's something like an extension then extra circuits can often be added but there is no essential need to have the place rewired.

Sounds like the 'spark' who gave the 20 minnute PIR and quote is taking the pish. Is he subcontracted by the council or does he work for them?

If it's unrelated technical work then why is it part of agreeing to have the place rewired?
Thats the written explanation we are waiting for!

What is the technical work? If it's something like an extension then extra circuits can often be added but there is no essential need to have the place rewired.

Changing the lead main pipe and damp / timber treatment in the celler.

The spark was from a company from a vetted list of contractors of the Non=profit org project managing the grant application / project (for a % fee of the grant).

Changing the lead main pipe and damp / timber treatment in the celler.

Oh dear.

Replacing lead pipes is only likely to be of benefit if you live in a soft water area.
In hard water areas, there will probably be a thin film of scale on the inside of the pipe which will prevent the lead from being absorbed into the water. If the water is very hard, lead won't dissolve into it anyway as the water will already be saturated with various other minerals.
Replacement should only be done following a chemical analysis of the water to establish what amount of lead is in it (if any).

As for damp, woodworm treatement, spraying poisons around to prevent rot, injecting various substances into walls and so on - 90% scamolas.
All cellars are damp, because they are underground. Not a problem provided they are properly ventilated.

The spark was from a company from a vetted list of contractors of the Non=profit org project managing the grant application / project (for a % fee of the grant).
Does anybody else see the potential there for a conspiracy of mutual self-interest to take precedence over responsible professionalism?

The way it works is that they project manage the whole grants application, necessary surveys, quotes, and the works, adding the 10% project management fee to the grant funding request (they were recommended by the council grant officer).

More I think about it I'm inclined to get another survey carried out depending of the written explanation I'm waiting for.

exactly, so on that basis they are recomending a complete rewire of £4500.. that's another £450 they can put on top of the grant for their "non-profit" services..
if it was just a CU change of £500 then that's only £50 in their coffers..

In the case of the damp/timber survey I had to really push them to look into it as they were really reluctant because the council officer disregarded the condition of the cellar because they don't fund any work to uninhabited rooms (my argument was that the condition of the cellar joists and damp had a direct effect on the habited room on the ground floor).
BTW, their survey was pretty useless (5 min inspection of a single joist end) and I made sure I got another thorough survey commissioned and submitted to the council team.

I have not got an up to date Guide to 17th Edition wiring regulations but the old 16th Edition stipulated how many sockets should be installed in each room as a minimum. It may be worth checking as I am sure it is more than two and armed with that you may be able to get more!

id be interested to know this fact if anyone knows how many is the minimum?

cause of a massive argument at my old work- didnt realise there was a minimum.

The current OSG has the recommended numbers of sockets on page 162.

There are 3 figures for various size rooms, but even in the smallest ones (up to 12 square meters), some examples are (number of double outlets):
Single bedroom 2
Double bedroom 3
Kitchen 6
Living room 4
Dining room 3

There is a similar list in the NHBC Standards book

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back