Kettle and toaster plugged in under worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would like to tidy up the clutter of cables on a small kitchen worktop. Am I able to have the sockets for the kettle and toaster under the worktop and the cables drilled through the worktop and then plugged into the sockets under the worktop? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It would be easier to cut the cables to six inches long and re-attach the plugs. Such short flexes would not cause clutter.

Thanks for suggestion , but would having sockets under the worktop comply with regulations?

Sponsored Links
I think that will cause you problems with the worktop... How do you intend to seal the raw core of the worktop in the drillings? And for other problems - What about the water and muck that will go down the drilled holes in the worktop? Where will it go? what else will ruin? Do forget crumbs etc that are left in hidey holes will be very attractive to flys, ants, cockroaches, even mice or rats.

Could also make it difficult to sell the house in future. I, for one would think got to put a new worktop in.

Thanks for all the feedback. If I decide to site the sockets under the worktop, would it comply with regulations?

"Where socket outlets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a
kitchen , separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to allow appliances to be isolated."

Scottish building regs

"Where socket outlets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a
kitchen , separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to allow appliances to be isolated."

Scottish building regs

He is in Berkshire, not Scotland. There is no requirement in England for separate local isolation.

Appliances can be isolated by pulling the plugs or switching at the CU.

Thanks, so in theory if the cables went through a cable grommet that Gasguru sent the link, and the kettle and toaster were then plugged into a socket that would comply with regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back