Key Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any problems with these new key type meters? My parents one has allegedly used about £50 of credit since last Sunday when normally it uses about £10 a week. Problem has occured since new fusebox was installed by sparks in course of new kitchen fit by local council. We have tried to re-set the meter by putting in a £1 credit 3 days running as informed by the power campany helpline but to no avail. Father is very anxious about this and very worked up. Any help would very much appreciated, thanks.
Dave.

Sponsored Links
Update

Found the problem,
eventually my wife got through on the phone to the power company and it seems that they were taking the credit off the meter to pay for an underpayment over the last 12 months because the old meter had not been re-calibrated to the tarrif changes. The new key meter was fitted in October. Only problem is that my parents paid the underpayment 3 weeks ago through the bank and the ***t***s have been taking the money again because one department hasn't been speaking to another!
If parents had not paid the underpayment the company's letter had said they would take £5 a week off the meter automatically. Turns out someone decided to up this to £65 a week without telling them.
Hopefully get it all sorted today and refunded.
These companies are all the same, they think they can play with people's life's and emotions and get away with it, but not this time.

I think a letter of complaint is called for. Demand £100 compensation.

Don't phone. Write.

Sponsored Links
Tanto, I would speak to Citizens Advice or the Ombudsmans, I think that if the meter was not calibrated and undercharged your parents that is the fault of the DNO and they canot claim the money from your parents.

I may be wrong on this, but the accuracy of the meter is the responsibility of the DNO and NOT your parents, afterall they do not own the equipment. I have a memory of a case many years ago when the old LEB had a similar problem with a number of meters in one location..they hadn't been changed in donkey's years and were all undercharging residents..I seem to recall it was down to the LEB and the residents didn't have to pay.

Like I say, have a chat with the Ombudsman and the CB for your parents area. then write a letter based on what they advise.

Many thanks Big-Spark,

Will make some phone calls and see what transpires. Hope you are right as it might mean that parents could claim back the money they paid to originally clear the underpayment. My wife has already managed to get some sense out of the providers and is still pushing for compo for stress, worry, long phone calls etc. Has taken up to an hour to get throgh to them at times and other times she has been cut off after waiting for 50 minutes on hold .
will keep you all informed,
Dave

Back