Keys..

Sponsored Links
Sadly there is an additional vulnerability with the Eurolock, if the cylinder projects from the door it is possible to twist it off with a simple tool :evil: I believe you can get a heavy escutcheon to protect it.

The Eurolock cylinder would usually be used with a mortice lock on a solid door. ( They can also be easily drilled out ! )

In that case thay have no obvious advantage over a nice Chubb 5 lever which is cheaper anyway and needs some skill to drill to open.

Except that the Abloy key is smaller and lighter to carry and cannot easily be copied except at a few places I see little advantage for that application.

The Chubb key should be stamped with a "star" to reduce the chance of anyone copying it if unauthorised.

Since keys and locks are not regulated effectively in the marketplace, key security largely depends on what you do with your own key!

Tony

Aircraft flights, ship cruises and package hols' were pretty safe from yobs before the great unwashed gained wealth and thereby access ....
:D :D

Sponsored Links
IMG_1446.jpg

This is my application so a 5 lever mortice lock is out of the question.

I have 2 of these flushed into a wall that control my garage roller shutters and if by changing to the Abloy lock it reduces the chance's of the lock being bumped then I'm going to change it.

I have been broken into 4 times in 8 years and I have managed to foil them on all but the first occasion and they were not immigrants illegal or otherwise.

The first time it was 4 white teenagers, the second time it was 2 white males in their 30's the 3rd time it was 1 white male in his 20's and the 4th time it was 2 white males in their 40's.

Pensdown said:
IMG_1446.jpg

This is my application so a 5 lever mortice lock is out of the question.

I have 2 of these flushed into a wall that control my garage roller shutters and if by changing to the Abloy lock it reduces the chance's of the lock being bumped then I'm going to change it.
never mind a different type of lock. buy a remote control kit for the doors instead. Most of our shops use remote shutters for over the front door, and any additional window shutters have the keyswitch you pictured above, but mounted internally.

That box looks pretty insecure!

I cannot make out what type of screw is at the bottom but it looks as if the front can be easily prised out and the contacts made to open the door.

Perhaps an infra red or better still wireless coded remote would be more secure and more convenient as well?

Be aware that the IR signal can be read and copied and then repeated to open your car ( or garage ). If anyone shady is around use the key or ensure an IR remote is pointing away from anyone else and close to the target receiver.

However, it looks as if its a Union or ASSA profile and a "bump" key would be required with that exact same profile which is unlikely. Yobos do not have much time for high tech otherwise they would be working as locksmiths!

Whilst I dont see your keyswitch as very secure mechanically, I dont see bump key attack likely in your case.

Tony

I have seen a small "personal" door for garages.

Made of steel with a steel frame and ?two? locks

The idea being that the main door is locked/bolted/controlled from the inside, and you have to go through the "personal" door to open it. Garage and roller doors are I believe more difficult to secure from the outside.

I am very worried about someone getting at your stock of mugs and T-shirts ;)

Don't worry John, the mugs, T shirts & fleeces are all safe(ish) here at the office!

The lock in the picture controls my office roller shutter and like Crafty's shop it's mounted inside. Although it looks insecure when flushed into brickwork they are not quick to get into from the front. The cover with the screws is just an escutcheon for the label up & down.

When I had the doors fitted (after break-in No.4) I had the option of remote control but for some reason I preferred the key switch - for life of me I can't remember why :cry:

I think as Crafty has said, remote control is the way to go.

seems a lot of fuss about nothing to me. I never never ever saw or heard of a burglar gaining entry by going to those lengths to get past a lock, whilst i was a serving officer. As agile says, broken window kicked in door, slip the lock, remove the patio door out of its runners etc etc were all used. They wont carry something as theres too much risk of a known burglar being stopped and found with something on them and getting done for going equipped.

do roller garage doors ride in a track on each side?

if so, surely there is a system available that allows a "bullet lock" to be pushed through a hole in the track and door and lock into place, preventing the door sliding up or down until the bullet is unlocked and removed? The roller shutters on our shops have these, and they make the shutters very secure.

Mine are simular to window roller shutters, they roll up into a box located above the door inside the garage so I don't have tracks. I am going to change the key locks for a remote even though the next time they will probably ram them.

Blimey, is this the real UK?? We have safely, left garage door open all night .. Some people around here leave their car window open 24/7 in the hot weather .. One used to leave his 'shaking backside' boot open all day on many occasions.
I know, It is real and I love it too - It will be a major wrench when we leave... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back